Sunny San Diego


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Laurie was able to spend about a week in San Diego with Axel while he was there for the summer working. San Diego is rich in history, culture and food. There was much to explore.

First stop, after fixing axel's cell phone, was Balboa Park and its gardens.

Balboa Park is renowned for the lush landscaping and lovely gardens on its 1,200 acres, offering a magnificent backdrop for the cultural attractions. The Park was ranked among the Best Parks in the World by the Project for Public Places in 2003 (13 out of 24) for its mixture of horticulture and art and culture.

There are more than eight gardens in the Park, which include the lovely Alcazar Garden, the award-winning rose garden, the Japanese Friendship Garden, the desert garden and the historic Botanical Building. The City of San Diego’s Park and Recreation Department manages and maintains the grounds of this spectacular public resource.


San Diego hasn't been enjoyed without a visit to the Hotel Del on Coronado Island. We chose to spend our first good sunset at their outdoor lounge sipping martinis and watching the sun set onthe Pacific.

Rising from water's edge on the quaint island of Coronado in San Diego, the Hotel del Coronado is considered one of America's most beautiful beach resorts.

A classic historic hotel, The Del was built in 1888 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977. Today, The Del offers travelers contemporary luxury in an enchanting Victorian atmosphere. Add the resort's beachfront location, and it's no wonder USA Today calls The Del "one of the top ten resorts in the world." The Del offers a quintessential San Diego resort vacation experience. For those seeking a romantic retreat, the resort's magical architecture and island setting are perfect.

Laurie's favorite part of San Diego was the Zoo where she could make friends with all of the animals and rename them Henry or George. This zoo is particularly wonderful because one is able to be so close to the animals. We felt as though we could reach out and touch the leopards and tigers. Fortunately they did not try to reach out and touch us!

Overall, San Diego was amazing, but the time we had was too short. No doubt, we'll be back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hotel Del CoronadoHotel Del Coronado
Hotel Del Coronado

Next time we'll do the Sunday brunch :)
George the PandaGeorge the Panda
George the Panda

Laurie tried to steal him till she saw how big mama is...


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb