With Kellie in San Diego


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mon 28 - Wed 30 April, Fri 2 - Sun 4 May

Kellie picked us up in her typically American (read large) car on Monday from Anaheim and drove us the 90 or so mins south to her sweet apartment in Downtown San Diego.

Our first outing was to the supermarket for lunch which, to Kel’s amusement, proved fascinating for me. Can you believe Redken shampoo and conditioner sells for $12? Or that you can buy alcohol in any aisle (our tequila was $10)? I could have even bought 200 paracetamol tablets for $5. Anyway, Kellie did also take us out to Rock Bottoms in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego for our first All American dinner. Sean and I both ordered Ribs and, yes, Sean did finish the whole rack.

We spent Tuesday at San Diego Zoo. The gardens and grounds were beautiful, but I think overall we were a little disappointed. (Kel probably summed it up by saying i’d stolen six hours of her life). It was another really hot day, so most of the animals were sleeping and we found the pens didn’t offer quite as good viewing opportunities as some other zoos. On a
At the Seal ShowAt the Seal ShowAt the Seal Show

Check out those Zoo cups.
brighter note, however, we got to see animals they don’t normally have in Aussie zoos. In fact, we actually thought the flamingos were statues when we first arrived. The pandas were also very cute, but the most interesting creatures were definitely the speedy, tiny hummingbirds.

Other highlights included our tour of Coronado (a glamorous island off San Diego) and our shopping spree at the Navy Exchange (I love that place). We also spent a reasonable amount of time drinking margaritas, swimming in the pool and cooking in the spa (that water was seriously hot).

I should also add that we spent quite a bit of time googling on two computers and madly reading through Kellie’s guidebooks trying to sort out the rest of our holiday.

Thanks again for having us Kel; it was a great intro to life in the USA.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

More MargaritasMore Margaritas
More Margaritas

At TJ Fridays


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb