Mexican Jaunt


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California » Ensenada
May 9th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Wednesday 30 April - Friday 2 May 2008

We really couldn’t come so close to the border (15mins drive from Downtown San Diego) without crossing it, so we decided to spend a couple of days relaxing at a resort in Ensenada, Mexico.

found the Estero Beach Resort on the internet and dropped us at the border. The crossing is fairly indiscreet; in fact a man told us to follow him because we were looking so lost (and standing out). We had our passports at the ready, but no one seemed to care at all, so we passed through a turnstile and that was it. The man had also given us directions to ABC buses (allegedly, the only reputable bus service around) and for $20 each we bought our return tickets for the 1.5hr journey to Ensenada.

I have to say, the Coast wasn’t really what I expected at all. It was very, very dry and dusty and the beaches were long, with pretty wild surf. Lots of construction is underway, with new resort style buildings and ‘ocean view’ blocks being sold. Also, the heat wave had finally broken and it was actually rather cold; we wore jeans and jumpers for most of the day.

The Estero Beach Resort was everything we had hoped for though. Because it was mid week - and off season - there were hardly any people around. Our room was very green, but opened out onto a little garden that stepped straight down into the pool area. The view was also great as our room looked out over a lagoon, with the ocean to the right and mountains to the left in the distance. We spend most of the time sitting at the table and chairs on our verandah. We also jumped in and out of the Jacuzzi and swimming pool at regular intervals, played tennis, slept (still recovering from jet lag) and read our books. The Mexican food was also tops. Part of the booking included a free dinner at the restaurant ‘Las Terazas’, which was rather gourmet (although, it is safe to say that Sean and I are now rather over Mexican).

The journey back to Kellie’s was fairly uneventful, although the border crossing back into the US was a little more stringent. Sean and I got selected to complete a survey and were asked if we were British (again). We managed to get ourselves onto the trolley (aka tram) at San Ysidro and got off just a couple of blocks from Kellie’s place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb