Swimming with the fishes at La Jolla


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » La Jolla
August 12th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 12 Aug
We headed out early to go for our re scheduled kayak and snorkel tour of La Jolla caves and underwater marine park. After taking the advice of the tour guide, we donned our wet suits and then collected our equipment. We needed snorkel masks and tube, flippers, underwater camera and a personal floatation devise!! Once we were all kitted up we headed to the beach with 4 others and jumped in our tandem kayak. The guide explained getting out to sea was the trickiest part of the tour and to head straight out through the waves without letting the kayak turn. So with me steering and Gra the power house at the front we roller coasted over the waves no probs.
It was great fun and even Gra enjoyed the ride until the tour guide told him their were sharks in the water just beneath the kayak!!! Ok don't panic they were just harmless Leopard sharks! It was amazing how shallow and close to the shore they swum. After paddling out to the caves, we kitted up with snorkel kit and flippers to swim into the caves as it was too tricky to steer the kayaks in such a small place. So following the tour guide we swam into the first cave the sea life below was amazing but a little worrying was the sea lions swimming with us trying to warn us off.
The tour guide didn't seem worried so we carried on, looking at the bright orange Garibaldi fish and lots of other shoals of fish hiding in the caves. We swam through a tunnel and had to time it right so the tide didn't lift us up into the roof of the tunnel. I came out with a few rock scratches but nothing serious. After taking photos of seals, sea lions, pelicans, and Gra underwater, we headed back. It was a great trip and I'm so glad we got chance to experience it.
Next on the activity agenda was hiking in Torry Pines, a State Reserve and beach. The walk started at the top of the Reserve and made its way winding down to the beach. It was a popular route with walkers and runners alike. after a quick dip in the sea it was back up to the top of the hill where there was a fabulous golf course Gra had seen on the way in. We couldn't afford to play there as it was the host of the 2008 Golf Open in May, so we practiced some swings on the driving range. After some top class coaching I could finally hit the ball straight, but Gra's shots were on fire, it was a shame that we couldn't play for real.
Next stop was LA, so we headed to a town on the outskirts called Maywood to check in to our accommodation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb