Sunday Ships and Monday Animals


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » Hillcrest
September 20th 2013
Published: September 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our San Diego Sunday began with brunch at Denny's (yum!) and then lead toward the sea. The Maritime Museum had been on our list of things to do and in our search for a suitable parking space, we came across the USS Midway Museum also. This aircraft carrier was made into a museum back in 2004 and offers visitors the rare chance to wander through its decks and see what life aboard such a ship would have been like. We managed to spend the better part of 4 hours aboard the Midway, and loved the self guided audio tour option. It really was a unique experience.

The San Diego Maritime Museum is made up of several vessels, moored in port and setup for visitors to board. The 'Star of India' is the world's oldest active sailing ship and it was a delight to see indeed. Some of the other ships we saw included the HMS Surprise and the steam ferry Berkeley along with a B-39 submarine (which I left the boys to investigate!)

We still had valuable daylight hours left after all our ship sightseeing so decided to go and check out the local Westfield mall. A visit to Target here in the US never disappoints and we also miraculously came across our first ever Michaels! This craft store is simply massive (and completely over shadows Spotlight back home!) and the price of most things is so much cheaper. My darling husband bought me one of my wish list items..... a Cricut Expression 2 (which is an electronic die cutting machine for those outside the circle of scrapbooking and crafting know how!) How lucky am I ?! We ended our day with a Chinese meal and retired to the hotel to rest our weary legs.

We had decided in advance to spend our last full day here at the San Diego Zoo, and this world famous attraction completely lived up to its reputation. The sheer size of the place meant that we needed the entire day to see pretty much all of the exhibits with the Polar Bears definitely coming in as my absolute favourites. We were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the majority of the animals and thought it quite funny that the Outback exhibit here had more koalas in it than we have seen in any one place back home in OZ!

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in San Diego but are so excited at the thought of what the next few days will bring.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb