Fairs, Freeways and Fun!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » Hillcrest
September 14th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We began our Thursday with the somewhat mundane but necessary task of doing laundry but certainly made up for it come afternoon when we set out for the LA County Fair. The drive to the fairgrounds in Pomona took almost an hour but on arrival we were greeted with all the sights, sounds and smells that reminded us of the Royal Show back home in OZ, just on a much much larger scale. The highlight of our fair visit, was for a change centred around Bradley. The dates just happened to coincide with the fair hosting The Star Trek Exhibition. It was such a fantastic opportunity to see props and costumes from both the TV series and movies, and Bradley even had the chance to sit in the captains chair on the bridge of the Enterprise (and we have photographic proof!) The rest of the day entailed fair food, lots of walking and even a street parade!

Our time in LA came to an end with the arrival of Friday the 13th, but thankfully nothing ominous occurred as we packed up our cases and hit the road bound for San Diego. Over the past week we have begun to adjust to the complete backwardness of the American road system and all it entails..... well, the boys have learnt to block out my incessant panic stricken, white knuckled comments, as we weave our way through the freeways of this glorious country! We spent the majority of the afternoon on various interstate freeways, all the while heading south, stopping in Oceanside for fuel and a late lunch. We checked into our hotel in San Diego quite late in the day and ordered pizza for a lazy evening in.

Back before this trip was even a reality based thought, Oliver had Legoland California fixed as a definite destination point. As most of you would know, Oli has quite a collection of Lego and 'how much Lego is too much Lego?' does not compute with our son! We headed to this famed tourist destination Saturday morning and spent the entire day wandering the park. We were indeed rewarded with having chosen to visit during a more off peak time of year, never queueing for more than 10 minutes for anything all day. There was so much to see and take in, brick creations everywhere you looked, simply amazing really..... and the number of bricks used to create some of the larger attractions (such as the Star Wars X-Wing Fighter!) is just mind blowing. Oliver said his favourite part of Legoland was Mini Land USA and I would have to quite agree, just fantastic the detail the brick builders put into such creations. Oliver managed to add quite a few kits to his collection by the time we left The Big Shop and our day at Legoland came to an end. A burger, fries and soda from Wendy's constituted dinner this evening and after only a week, if I never see another burger or slice of pizza again, it will still be too soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb