Day 43 - Redwood


Advertisement
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left the site at 9am to hike a wondrous redwood trail about 6 miles in total. Everyone was doing the hike, and quite quickly the group was spread out along the trail.
I ended up walking at the back with Annabel, with the others quite a distance ahead of us, and we ended up having a chat alone for the first time on the trip. It was really cool to hang out with Annabel as we steadily walk the trail, with the amazing views round every bend of gigantic trees covering the sky high above.
Annabel and I commented at one point that the place seemed like a scene from the last original Star Wars film (we found out later that we were correct!). Neither one of us had a care of keeping up with the others, and continued with questions for each other about our lives back home, before we were finally caught up by Kylie and Scott, finishing the trail as our foursome.
Before the end, Kylie insisted on getting one of those zany group photos of the four of us, one being on the trunk of a fallen tree that acted as a bridge over the path.
Watching Kylie run and then climb up to join us was hilarious, especially as we have to do the photo twice! Another pose later on was the four of us sitting one behind the other on another fallen tree facing the camera at the bottom of the tree, with our heads on alternative sides.
When we finally reached the end of the redwood trail, we came across Fern Valley, a small valley covered with ferns all over it. That was an impressive sight. As I walked through the stretch of valley, I somehow got the sense of Jurassic Park or something prehistoric.
Soon after we reached the end of the valley we joined up with the others back at the van. Over a small dune, was a beach which Zack goes missing on.

After lunch Kylie, Jess, Sumi, Kristina, Joanna, Todd and I headed to Hidden Beach whilst the others either stayed at camp or went kayaking in a river nearby. When we finally reached the beach, we were greeted with lots of driftwood at the top of the beach and one or two large rocks near the water. Kylie went off by herself a little further up the beach, whilst Joanna, Kristina, Jess and Sumi headed near the water.
I found a spot on one of the larger pieces of the driftwood, and started listening to my music. Before I knew it, I fell asleep and when I finally woke up 40 minutes has passed, and I find Jess and Todd skimming stones into the water, before we finally headed back to camp.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb