Day 44 - Oregon Dunes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Florence
October 5th 2011
Published: October 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were leaving California behind and heading into Oregon. As soon as we hit the Beaver State, we stopped off at Ecola State Park, with this one being a beach. It was pretty immense with all the massive rocks just off shore and the driftwood lying on the completely flat beach.
The tide was out, so the sand reached out for a while, up to the rocks, a good 300 feet from the top of the beach.
Whilst on the beach we discovered a crab with all its legs snapped off, and Jess ran and ran forever along the beach. I almost thought about joining her on her second run, but didn’t.

After leaving the beach, we had another shop for dinner tonight, and lunch at another beach, eating the two chickens we bought at the supermarket, before heading on to the campsite, where after quickly setting up our tents, we headed to the dune buggies nearby where hell was unleashed!

The group was split into two buggies, with each person purposefully placed in seats of the buggies. I was joined by Kylie, Jess, Becca, Zack, Scott and Steve and what followed was simply awesome. There was no limit to these buggies speed, and we shot through the dunes and tracks before reaching heaven. An old army bomb testing site which is just sand, sand and more sand. The terrain rises and drops and our bodies would never be the same again. We even went for a ride along the beach nearby, before returning to the ‘playground’.
We were harnessed in so couldn’t move, which helped as we were throwing every which way. We were given big goggles as well as there was no stopping the sand hitting your face. We also had to wear a jumper to protect from the sand, but after we finished there was no end to the sand coming out of our mouths, hair and clothes. Just to mark the occasion, The Presidents of The United States of America tune Dune Buggy was played before and after the experience.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb