The Redwood Forest


Advertisement
Published: August 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Redwood National Park


The drive up the coast of California was breathtaking. Until you see the Giant Redwoods in person there is no way you can understand how magnificent they are…… We camped at Humboldt Redwoods State Park; we had a wonderful site in the middle of the forest. The picture looking up the tree was at our camp site. The next day we headed to the Redwood National Forest and continued up the CA coast.
We planned on heading up the coast to Seattle but……..Look at what I found on weather.com…
..AN UNSEASONABLY STRONG WEATHER SYSTEM WILL MOVE OVER SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON THIS EVENING AND ….. BEGINNING LATE THIS AFTERNOON.
THE INCOMING STORM IS UNUSUAL FOR THIS TIME OF THE YEAR AND BEARS STRONG SIMILARITIES TO WINTER OR FALL WEATHER SYSTEMS. THE FRONT WILL PRODUCE RELATIVELY GUSTY WINDS ALONG THE COAST...WITH GUSTS AT THEIR STRONGEST LATE THIS EVENING. WIND WILL LIKELY GUST IN THE 40 TO 50 MPH RANGE NEAR COASTAL HEADLANDS AT THE PEAK OF THE STORM. COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL EXPERIENCE WINDS PEAKING AROUND 30 MPH. INLAND CONDITIONS WILL BE MUCH LESS BREEZY...EXCEPT FOR HIGHEST ELEVATIONS OF THE CASCADES.
THE SYSTEM WILL ALSO PRODUCE RELATIVELY HEAVY PRECIPITATION ESPECIALLY IN THE COAST RANGE... FOOTHILLS AND CASCADES. RAINFALL TOTALS FOR TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY WILL RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 INCHES IN THE COASTAL MOUNTAINS AND CASCADES...WITH LESSER AMOUNTS IN THE VALLEYS. FREEZING LEVELS WILL REMAIN HIGH ENOUGH TO RULE OUT MOUNTAIN SNOW... EXCEPT AT THE VERY HIGHEST PEAKS.
THIS STORM WILL HAVE A FAIRLY RAPID ONSET AND PRODUCE BACK COUNTRY CONDITIONS THAT WILL BE CHALLENGING AT BEST...WITH COOL TEMPERATURES...WINDY CONDITIONS...COPIOUS RAIN AND EVEN HEAVY SNOW AT THE VERY HIGHEST ELEVATIONS.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo we took a hard right and headed east. This was one of the unplanned and most wonderful detours we have taken. We landed in Crater Lake National Park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Writing postcardsWriting postcards
Writing postcards

Can you tell we are in wine country
Ferndale CAFerndale CA
Ferndale CA

Really cool town


23rd August 2008

Redwoods / T@B
I've been thinking about a T@B trailer for a while. Had some customers in Medford, OR, who I talked about this stuff for hours. They have a camper. And I have a modified cargo trailer that really works well and allows me to stand two inches over six feet. But I like the T@B style, even though I'd have to hunch. The redwoods is a popular destination for me. If you Google: mdvaden + grove of titans redwoods You can find my redwood page. Maybe I'll be headed there in a nice teardrop in a couple of years.
23rd August 2008

Redwoods /T@B
We enjoyed the Redwoods, we had been there before, but we had never made it this far north . The T@B is working out great for us. I would recommend one if it is only one or two people traveling. It has not felt small and the kitchen out the back is working great for us. Good luck on your adventures.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb