The Great American Bucket List


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Pebble Beach
February 5th 2023
Published: February 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Everyone seems to have a bucket list, including Sherman's Travel. Of course, their motives are to get you to buy their travel packages. I have no motive, other than to tell you what I think about them. And I prefer to use the term. "Water Pail List" instead!!!

Oahu North Shore-truly spectacular, biggest waves I have ever seen. While you are there, hit Giovanni's Shrimp Truc or Matsumoto Shave Ice. We also enjoy I Am Paradise (pearls and jewelry).

Kentucky Derby-you must attend at least once, truly spectacular, often called the "most exciting two minutes in sports." Make sure you bring your best hat, visit the bourbon houses in downtown Louisville, and get to the track early on Derby Day. (pictured)

Las Vegas Strip and Fremont Street-most of you have already done this, but it never gets old. New mega casinos open, new attractions are built, shopping is great, and now the food has improved exponentially.

Hot Air Balloon Fest in Albuquerque-actually never been there in October, but many other times. I actually prefer Santa Fe. And the food is outstanding, as are the area's artists and natural beauty.

Niagara Falls-not yet, but I have been to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, which is not as spectacular. But the animals in Africa more than make up for the New Yorkers.

The Narrows, Zion National Park-be prepared for the towering walls. Not for the faint of heart. You will get muddy, wet, and cold. I love Zion and other Utah National Parks.

Cherry Blossoms in DC-luckily, we hit peak bloom day several years ago. It is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever experienced. And best of all, no sneezing! (pictured)

Grand Canyon-as I mentioned before, each visit is magical, no matter how many times I visit. I have hiked, and also taken the helicopter over the canyon. But the best part of the visit is the burger at the El Tovar restaurant on the South Rim.

Pacific Coast Highway-again, no matter how many times, this drive is both beautiful, and daunting. The trip from SLO to Monterey in particular is enjoyable since I get to use the "inside" lane. Many stops along the way for photos and snacks.

Great American ballparks-visiting the two "cathedrals of baseball, Fenway and Wrigley are the best baseball experiences, short of my Giants winning the three World Series in the last decade. Wrigley is my personal favorite.

Diner tour of New Jersey-I have not done this, but I have dined in my share of greasy spoons in my travels.

Mardi Gras in Nawlins-though I have not been there for the actual event, I have been there often enough to understand the excitement and creation of the krewe. One of these days?

Walt Disney World-it was a long time ago, back in the 80s, but memorable. I was ferried around on a wheelchair since I pulled a muscle playing tennis prior to my visit. BTW, wheelchair guests go to the front of the line!

Yellowstone National Park-truly a unique experience, and worth the long trip to see both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Both the scenery and the animals make the trip a truly American venture.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-one visit is not enough, so I went twice in two days. Any music lover will consider this their "musical mecca." Cleveland is not much, the HOF is definitely worth a visit to Ohio.

Northern Lights of Denali-yes it was quite a trek (flew up, and bus back) up to the Arctic Circle (Cold Foot) to see the Aurora. Denali is spectacular, even in late winter on the Denali Star Railway, a true flag stop railway. I walked across the frozen Yukon River and followed the Alaskan pipeline for too many miles.

Blue Ridge Parkway-all I can recall is the John Denver song, "Take Me Home, Country Roads" where he says he belongs.

South Beach, Miami-not one of my favorite visit, but I did enjoy Joe's Stone Crabs and Little Havana nearby.

Ski Aspen-one of my best ski trips ever, a place where I won my very first ski race! Aspen is great fun, a real party town, even though Claudine shot Spider the week before I arrived.

Redwood National Park-giant Redwoods have no match anywhere in the world. It is hard to believe anything living thing can be this old! When friends visit from the east coast, they all seem to want to see the giants.

Freedom Trial in Boston-great fun, if you do it in sections. There are too many famous places along the way, and so many great food choices as well. Plus, your visit should include Hah-vad, Fenway, the Gah-den, and the Pops on the 4th of July.

Pearl Harbor National Memorial-a truly sobering experience, once is enough.

Georgia Aquarium-??

See a Broadway Show-another truly American experience, along with dinner before or after, the deli experience, Mama Leone's, Sardi's, Central Park, MSG, Yankee Stadium, and Jimmy Fallon.

Live music in Austin-I would only go to Austin for the Salt Lick Barbecue just outside of the city. You can have Texas music.

Sedona-another truly magical place, and great for food, hiking and photography. One of the favorite places here is the Elote Cafe, one of the best places I have ever dined. Make sure you find your vortex!

Chicago Architecture River Cruise-I much prefer Chicago to NYC, for many reasons: Wrigley, Wicker Park, Mag Mile, Portillos' beef, the museums, Ravinia, the "L", Second City, but mostly, "where's the lake?"

Central Park, New York-just don't go after dark, as the Simon and Garfunkel song warns. I much prefer Golden Gate Park, but the very existence of large city parks is truly a testament to our forefather's insight into the cement jungles they built.

Chaco Culture Park, New Mexico-not yet.

Acadia National Park and lobstah-yes, sometimes twice a day. We had a lobster roll for lunch and a lobster dinner late that evening. Acadia is quiet and beautiful. And the people in Maine are truly a hoot.

So, out of 30, I have been to 28.

Yet, I think they missed a few.

These should be added: Indianapolis 500 Auto Race (pictured) Continental Divide Mojave Desert Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Seventeen Mile Drive, Monterey Monument Valley, AZ (pictured) Yosemite National Park We each have our favorites.

Perhaps you would be so kind to share yours?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb