Paddling up Big River in strange boats


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.3078, -123.798


Most of the time we have been in northern California it has been cool and overcast. It was a pleasant surprise to wake up to sunshine and we decided it would be a good day to be out on the water. Of course, all that moisture helps make everything lush and green no there really are no complaints.

Robert had done a great deal of research about kayaking in the area and we had been told that the Big River was a great place to paddle and check out the wildlife. We got directions to a kayak place that was right on the Big River very close to the bridge called "Catch a Canoe".

We had planned to use a two man kayak but the manager suggested it might be fun to use the outrigger canoes they had. We decided to go for his suggestion and try them out. You use a canoe paddle and they are shaped much like the dugout canoes we rode in when we were in Sri Lanka.

There was quite a bit of wind but we had the tide coming in with us so it was not too bad. We kept being checked out by the seals that would pop up, drift along and then go back under. We did see an otter but he was too fast to get a picture.

We had only signed up to be out on the river for 3 hours so we did not make it up the farthest point we could go. Got back, got unloaded and decided to go have happy hour on the beach across from where we had started kayaking.

Found a place that was protected from the wind and had a nice break and enjoyed the sunshine and goodies we had arranged. Afterwards, back to the campsite for dinner and campfire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 129, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb