Russian Gulch Sink Hole


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mendocino
September 25th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sunken landSunken landSunken land

Phil is on the distant side by fence that surrounds the sink hole.
We returned to Russian Gulch State Park on a foggy day to hike deep into the magnificent redwood forest with its glorious expanse of ferns carpeting the base of the trees. The heavy fog was bringing much-needed moisture to the coastal forest. Our eight-miles/four-hour hike took us up into another pygmy forest and then down to a small stream that leads to the waterfall. The silence in the forest was most noticeable when we frequently observed small winter wrens hopping about. But few bird calls until we drew close to the end of our trail and a clutch of ravens cawed to each other far above our heads.

We hiked from the forest to the coastal trail that took us to the Sink Hole, a spectacular 100-foot-wide and 60-foot-deep hole about 100 feet from the coastal cliffs. The relentless crashing of the high-tide surf had burrowed a 200-foot tunnel inland that slowly, over time weakened the land above and it fell into the hole. Many other sections of the cliff had tunnels that the high-tide was pounding into while we were there. We had an erie feeling that other land could suddenly cave in under our feet, so we were glad to leave the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th September 2012

Kathy and Phil, We are enjoying your wonderful writing and photos. Isn't the west coast grand? See you soon.
7th October 2012

Thanks!
We had such a wonderful time with you and Stephen...miss you both already. Love, Kathy
7th October 2012

Thanks.
Doesn't seem my comment worked so here it is again: We had a wonderful time with you and Stephen and miss you both already. Glad you will be following us! Love, Kathy

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb