Walk in the Hills


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
November 1st 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Runyon Canyon ParkRunyon Canyon ParkRunyon Canyon Park

Typical hilly country, dotted with mansions. The " Hollywood" sign is visible in the distance (use your imagination if you have to).
Geo: 34.1068, -118.349

Rained heavily last night, most unusual. Erin says the conventional wisdom is not to go swimming in the ocean soon after rain, because of the junk flushed out of long-dormant storm water drains. It's made for a lovely, clear morning, however.

Which was just superb for our walk in Runyon Canyon Park, near Hollywood. The steady climb was rewarded with expansive views south to Long Beach and LA Port, and a clear view of Downtown. Erin and Pete were feeling under the weather after the Halloween Party, but were much revived by an In-N-Out burger, which seems to be the fast food burger of choice for all of our friends.

We bought some nice wines, Penfolds Bin 389 (cheaper here than in Oz: makes me cross!) and also a Pouilly-Fuisse Chardonnay from the Burgundy region that we remember fondly from 30 years ago with our landlords, Dianne and Charlie. Steaks and snacks from Costco and WholeFoods, and a new Weber Q portable BBQ that we assembled and christened that night. Had a great family time and didn't get to bed 'till around midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

DowntownDowntown
Downtown

Not nearly as big and impressive as other cities. Possibly the earthquake threat has limited the scale of development.
Looking SouthLooking South
Looking South

The low hill in the distance is the Palos Verdes Penninsula. Beside it to the left is Long Beach and the port. With binos, Erin's office building is clearly visible, a 45 min drive away.
CostcoCostco
Costco

Just a few minutes from Erin's apartment, Costco Hawthorne sprawled. As a non-shopper I found it over-whelming - good for a superficial browse but thank goodness I wasn't looking to buy something specific. Most remarkable were the packaged six-packs of 1.75L bottles of famous brand hard liquor. Cost about USD22 per bottle. This Costco takeaway wouldn't win any cuisine awards, but it was quick and cheap.


2nd November 2014

Hi not sure if you will get this but what time do you want Leo to pick you up.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb