On the Eve of our Journey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
February 9th 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We fly out of LAX tomorrow, February 11th, at 12:30 PM. Steve and I are staying at my sisters place these last couple days in the States. Our bags are packed, our paperwork is in order, our bellies are full, and now it's just a matter of time. I am quite calm considering we are heading into a completely different cultural and linguistic experience. Neither of us have a good command of the Chinese language, so getting around and interactions will prove difficult. But I look forward to learning a new language and being immersed in a different society, where Communism follows a long history of Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, and Feudalism. There's a lot to be learned and a great opportunity to grow as a human being as we cross into a once forbidden land on the other side of the world to bridge a gap in understanding. For no matter how different we may seem, in the end we are all humans.

Farewell friends and family, although we will be thousands of miles apart, you are always close to our hearts.

p.s. We have set up a Skype account and we have a U.S. phone number which you can use to reach us in China without having to call internationally. If you'd like to give us a ring sometime, just let us know and we'll email you the number.



Advertisement



10th February 2009

Best wishes
Keren, how incredibly exciting! I will be following your blog with anticipation. What an adventure. This blog is a great idea, and it was wonderful to see your wedding pictures. Best wishes to you both on this wonderous endeavor, and do let me know if you need any China advice -- not from me unfortunately -- but my cousin just got back from two years over there, her third long trip there (also teaching English, amongst other things), and is now doing a masters in East Asian studies (she's fluent in Mandarin). Best wishes, again!
11th February 2009

Bon Voyage!
Of course, by the time you read this comment - you will be in China. I hope you had smooth travels and are safely installed in your new home. Many blessings! Hannah

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb