Learning To Surf... In The Hood


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
November 4th 2008
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What originally began as a stopover before heading home turned into a 3 week trip to the USA. To save on a bit of cash and have a new experience we decided to give couch surfing a trial. For those of you confused, couch surfing is not a new extreme sport but a website tool used to unite travellers around the world and provide them with a sofa to crash on.

Although we'd heard a lot of bad reviews about LA I'd have to say I really enjoyed my stay. Hollywood is far from the glitz and glamour you would expect to see, in fact it's really grotty in places but we enjoyed experiencing the reality of the place for ourselves.

Although the main attractions were the Madonna concert and Universal Studios, what probably sticks out most in my mind was the whole misconception of the place by the media. However, one thing that is true to life and that is people come to Hollywood to follow their dreams and I really admire the determination and aspirations of these people. From the small time rapper handing out his cd's on Hollywood boulevard to the part time taxi driver's plan to improve the streets.

Michael and his mum Diane were excellent couch surfing hosts, they really made us feel at home, showed us around the real streets of LA and I would love to meet with them again.




Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

City WalkCity Walk
City Walk

run forest run


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb