Cheese, and other catastrophes.


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Joy dives for cheese.Joy dives for cheese.Joy dives for cheese.

The question is, if it had been Velveeta, would we have bothered fishing it out?
Spent an awful lot of time today driving.

LA sucks.

It took me close to three hours to provision, and where I'd planned (I'm thinking the word "planned" is going to become a bit of a joke on board) to go to Whole Foods and shop in natural foods heaven, the Whole Foods here was just not up to par. The bulk food bins were mostly empty and I couldn't find the doggone eggs. (Among other horrifying things like that they don't carry tonic water.) I ended up following the advice of a fellow shopper and heading over to Ralph's, a block (and fifteen minutes in the car) away. There, I spent close to $500. Ah, the satisfaction of having three dozen eggs in the cart.

Upon arriving at the marina, Peter and Harry helped load everything onto the boat, saying to each other as they handed bag after bag down to me, "This is it, right?" "There's more?" and "Where are you going to put all this?" This last from Harry, with his hands on his hips. The funny truth is that I put all those groceries away and STILL did not use all the cupboard
Peter dives for cheese, too.Peter dives for cheese, too.Peter dives for cheese, too.

Success came to him like a fish to water.
space in the cabin. This enabled me to put my heavy weaponry pots and pans in a position of importance rather than stowed recklessly under the range. Score one point for the chef!

Directly after that, I dropped the Gruyere cheese (some say "groo-yay" and some say "groo-yay-r" but mostly it's similar to Swiss so we'll just say that) into the bilge. The significance of this is that the bilge is extremely deep. If Harry had dangled me into it by my ankles, I might have just barely reached the bottom. That, and the cheese had fallen under the drive-shaft. Peter finally rescued the $9 cheese from the greedy bilge after thirty minutes of hard effort. I think it was the principle that has us all so determined. That, and the Captain was making a stink about the stink that would surely grow from the bilge if we left that Swiss in there.

While Peter battled the cheesy bilge, Harry proceeded with his high Captainly chores, including replacing two blocks on the mast. Saying it like that is a little like saying you painted the house this afternoon: it really doesn't capture the degree of effort that was
The reason the cheese fell in.The reason the cheese fell in.The reason the cheese fell in.

Our first snack on board!
exerted.

The cabin is finally squared away, mostly, and we're all settled in. Now we're tending to those boat details that keep Harry up at night: "How do we switch from the upper water tanks to the lower?" and "Where's the sack for the staysail?" and "How will I prepare the salmon this evening?" Oh. That last one was mine.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Pot gallery.Pot gallery.
Pot gallery.

See how they shine? They're begging to be used.
Harry's new blocks.Harry's new blocks.
Harry's new blocks.

They're the shiny things at the top and the bottom of the photo. They're begging to be used, too.


15th June 2007

cheesy cheese
Ok, you three. The cheese story is hilarious. I can't imagine how it would have smelled after a few weeks a sea. I hope cheese isn't the only thing Peter catches at Sea... Bon Voyage. Heather

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb