How To Prepare For A Winter Move


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
September 16th 2021
Published: September 16th 2021
Edit Blog Post





Millions of people around the world spend a good amount of time and money just to hit the road and travel either around the country or abroad. But 2020-2021 has been a different year, with the covid shut down a lot of travelers found their options limited and this changed the look of things and the way we travel.

Right now people are more cautious of traveling especially during the winter period because of the winter storms and cold temperatures but this time is one of the exciting moments most people wish to have with their loved ones, family members and also relocate to a new environment.

In fact, a Travel Leaders Group and the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) survey of 3,000 travelers found that nearly 70%!o(MISSING)riginally planned to travel on vacation in 2021. The ability to travel, however, is still up in the air depending on destination and origin, citizenship, and vaccination status, among other factors.

However, the right preparation helps you avoid potential disasters. Moving in the winter doesn’t have to be hard, especially when you hire a professional moving company. In fact, winter is a great time to look for a home because fewer people do so in the winter

Below, hence are a few tips for moving successfully during winter:


Plan Ahead

Your planning goes a long way when it comes to traveling especially during the winter period. You don’t need to wait until the moving day before you start packing your belongings, the earlier the better not just for you but also for your movers.

Before you start loading anything into the truck, car, or storage container, create a safe environment. Make sure the mover is perfectly aware of everything that has to be moved.

And here's why: The cost will increase if anything is added to the shipment that was not included in the estimate. Also, make sure the mover is aware of any special circumstances that might make the move challenging.

For example, is there a possibility that the moving truck will have a hard time parking at your new place? If the mover has to park far away, you may be charged extra money for the walking that movers have to do to get your things to your new place.


Create a winter survival kit

It’s always advisable to be prepared for anything. By keeping a winter moving survival kit in the back of your car in case you’ll be driving, you’ll be ready for any issues that could arise on your way.

Your winter moving survival kit should consist of packing tape, extra clothing, snow boots, gloves, scarves, blankets, flashlights, antifreeze, a tool kit, a window scraper, shovel sand, gravel, or kitty litter (if your car is stuck) jumper cables.

Going with all this kit will be of help in case you have an emergency.


Plan for freezing weather

It might be a bad experience to move during the worst blizzard of the year. You can schedule or come up with a backup plan for your move because the weather can be unpredictable.

As the day approaches, check the weather frequently. Ideally, you’ll want to move on a day when it’s relatively warm, but isn’t raining. If the weather prediction doesn’t allow you to move on a particular day, do not hesitate to contact your movers and inform them about a possible delay in the shifting process.

Many truck rental companies will allow you to reschedule your move up to the day before. The efficient moving services contact their clients in advance if they think the excess snow will shut down the roads and hamper your moving activity. After all, it’s better to delay your plan than to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.


Clear sidewalks from ice and snow

You will want to remove the ice safely and efficiently. This means getting the ice and snow out of the path for walking and driving without hurting yourself in the process.

Use a lightweight snow shovel that is not too heavy for you. Decide where you will pile the snow and ice before you start so that you don’t end up blocking a walking or driving path and needing to start over in that area.

Make sure to clear the pathways of snow with the help of a shovel or apply an adequate amount of salt on the walkways so that moving company’s staff members don’t get hurt while filling the truck.

You can melt snow or prevent black ice by spreading some salt on the area you have cleared. You can use an ordinary table or dishwasher salt - a tablespoon for each square meter you clear should work.

Don't use the salt found in salting bins - this will be needed to keep the roads clear unless your council advises otherwise. Please contact your local council for more advice, you can also use sand or ash. These won't stop the path icing over as effectively as salt but will provide a good grip underfoot.


Hire Professional Movers

As we all know that winter is the most wonderful time of the year. This means not only can the experience be fun it can also be slippery and unsafe.

The best option is to hire professionals to load and unload your belongings. They will have a lot more experience with winter moving than you do, so they’ll be better equipped to deal with the challenges that come with moving.


Preparing your private car for the move



Realistically, an intercity drive can be highly exhausting, not to talk of an interstate or international drive during winter. Howbeit that, there are a lot of trusted cheap car shipping companies that can securely transport your vehicle across the country during this period.

The moving companies are very efficient in that respect, and they inspect their trucks regularly before starting a new shifting assignment. You should also get complete service of your private vehicle and make sure every function is running correctly in case the distance of travel is considerably long.

You’ll save yourself the driving stress of moving in the winter, in fact, shipping around this season could help you save up a lot of money since there are lesser activities during this period.


Conclusion



Moving in the winter doesn’t have to be hard, especially when you prepare very well and hire a professional moving company. In fact, winter is a great time to travel or go on vacation because fewer people do so in the winter.







Photo Credit: Pixabay.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb