day 22 - los angeles, ca to los angeles, ca


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » LAX
June 11th 2010
Published: June 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

check out was at midday, at 11am mary rang and asked if we could check out later, they said 1pm was fine.
we were ready and out of the room just after midday anyway where we left all our bags with the hotel and caught the trolly, for only $5 each out to manhattan beach. here we had the best rolls for brunch that ive ever had, it was like a footlong but totally packed out, got it from a deli, makes allo the difference. we went and sat at the beach for abit before jumping back on the trolly to go to thee shops. we were here for abit, grabbing some last minute items before jumping back on the trolly to head back to the hotel.
we sat in the lobby for abit, rearranged our bags then jumped in the free shuttle to the airport. too lazy to carry all our bags down there.
ron was on a different flight from la to new zealand and then was on the same flight as us from nz to melb. he looked at changing on to ours but it was gonna cost about $350 to do it, pass.
we got some burger king for dinner then parted ways with ron. our flight was due to leave at 9:30pm. they were running a little late and then we had to take a long taxi out to the big runway. this took a good 20-25minutes.
we were all set on the runway, start taking off and about 10seconds into the take off (to which we'd already reach a significant speed) we heard a great big loud bang and the plane started swerving all over the place, lucky the captain was a good steerer! we'd blown a tyre, as it turned out two tyres.
we waited on the runway for about 2.5 hours, while the plane was being assessed we just had to sit there as they had to work out what to do.
eventually they worked out that it was 2 tyres and that they had to unload the plane to tow it back to the terminal, at which point it was decided that due to the manpower available this plane was not going anywhere tonight.
we got off the plane where we were bused to an empty terminal to wait for another good 2-3 hours while they worked our what to do with everyone. as there was a conference on in la at the mo they had to split everyone over 6 different hotels, and then get everyone to those hotels.
we arrived at our accom for the night at the holidays in shortly after 2am. we were told that we'd find out in the morning sometime what the do was with our flights.


Advertisement



15th June 2010

OMG I think I would have had to have had a change of clothes after that! I'd have thrown up over myself and that probably wouldn't have been the only mess! lol Thank god you're OK and got off anyway. I'm guessing there wouldn't be a very easy way to land a plane with no tyres at the other end!

Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb