G'day from the Land of the Free...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Hollywood
October 18th 2013
Published: October 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another jam packed day for us, where do I begin....

Started off the day at Mel's Diner, an American icon, with decor from the 50-60's with jukeboxes and booth seating right in the heart of Hollywood. A popular spot for celebs with their pictures plastered over the walls, used in film clips, but probably the most prominent the front facade of the Sunset Boulevard store was actually used in Happy Days.

We then visited the Hollywood Museum.....all I can say is WOW, what a fantastic place with 3 floors of celebrity memorabilia, personal items and film props. They house the biggest Marilyn Monroe collection which I was totally in awe of. The pics don't do it justice, but needless to say it had everything from Dorothy's "ruby red" shoes from Wizard of Oz, to Hannibal Lecters Prison Cell (including young Clarice's chair), along with Lucille Ball Academy Awards, to JFK's telephone from the White House. Such an amazing place to visit, we both absolutely loved it.

Before lunch we headed off on our very first celebrity homes bus tour, I'll be honest not something I'd rush to do again but certainly worth a look at how the other half live. The biggest home would be the Aaron Spelling Estate (now owned by a 19 year old, a present from her Father a Sheik), the smallest home probably Ice-t, but still in the millions. Adam got some great shots of Ron Howard's mansion, by scaling the lookout wall......havent downloaded yesterdays pics yet as there are too many, but will endeavour to tonight.



Becoming a little more comfortable with our surroundings we decided to take the bus an head to the La Brea Tar Pits, then Adams favourite place - a CAR museum, which houses a collection of 140 cars, from movie cars to vintage, truly was an amazing place the dollar value would have been astounding.

Finished off our day with a trip to the Farmers Markets, and the Grove outdoor shopping precinct. Had our first American Hot Dog which was really nice, smaller than the massive ones we serve Down Under. Topped our night off with as quiz at all the hand/footprints in front of Graumans Chinese Theatre, what a magic feeling standing where the classic generation of Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe and Cary Grant - meet the modern Will Smith, Tom Cruise an Bruce Willis. We took pics of all of them.

Once again made more friends as they flock to Aussies.....

Anywho about to get some shut eye, off to Warner Bros tomorrow, a tour of Dolby Theatre and anything else we can squeeze into our day.



Love to u all,
K an A
Xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.5kb