Day 2


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a massively long and uneventful flight, I had finally arrived in the United States of America!! Once I had finally gotten thru customs, i got out of LAX and kinda just stood for a minute before finding where my shuttle us was. It was weird.. Therre's one way traffic thru the airport outside, and it was all taxi's and shuttles and a few other cars.. And it was HOT!!! I found where my shuttle was to leave from fairly easy and only had to wait about 5 mins for it to arrive. Got on and spoked to some guys from Dallas, a girl from Melbourne (Northcote), and another guy originally from the UK, but who had lived in Melbourne for a year, studying at Monash in Clayton. So that was all very interesting. As we were driving along I couldn't help but look out the window... It was incredible.... I felt like I was in a movie - It still doesn't feel real!! Saw a coouple of Maccas, and one lonely KFC, then was the last one out of the shuttle.
I messaged michelle to meet me out the front, then i just stood by the hostel door and looked around. I was standing on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Across the road was the train staion. A couple of doors down from that was the Kodak Theatre and Gruman's Chinese Theatre. We couldnt have been in a better locaton!
Saw Michelle walking towards me, along with her friend from work Karen, and two of our contiki friends - Jo and Carl. I somehow managed to carry my case up a huge flight of stairs, checked in and went to our room. Quickly refreshed myself, then we headed back outside.
We caught the train and then a bus to Santa Monica. Oh my goodness it was amazing!! It was packed! We went down the pier and took a few photos. It really cool, with the little theme park and what not. Michelle, Jo and I went on the rollercoaster.. Then ended up getting something to eat. There's also a Bubba Gump's Shrimp restaurant, which I've seen quite a few of around.
We headed to the other side of the pier, and at the top of the beach they have a whole heap of monkey bars and ropes and stuff.. Like a metal Gym, it was somethin i don't thhink i've seen back home.
We then walked up the street to look at the shopping in Santa Monica. Everyone walks their dog's here. Not just walks their dogs, but takes them down the street shopping and everything. They have dog bakeries with treats like cupcakes in the fridge and everything!
Hung around there for a while then headed back to find the bus. It was a long busride back but we finally got back to the station. We hopped back on the train. Carl wanted to go take some photos of Disney Studios so we all went along for the ride. We went past our stop, got of and found where this bus was supposed to leave from. After an hour of the bus not showing up, we gave up and went back to the Hostel.
By this stage it was dark. Everything lights up and looks so pretty. All these characters hang around outside Kodak theatre and along that main strret. To get a photo you give them a dollar. There was Captain Jack Sparrow, Dumbledore, Spiderman, Charlie Chaplin, simpsons, Borat, Jesus, freddy krueger, Darth Vader and heaps more. I didnt get any photos. Some were really in character.. others we kinda creepy.
We had dinner at a pizza resaurant across from our hostel. I had hawaiin pizza.. here they use bacon instead of ham.. it's odd! Whilst eating dinner there was a fire somewhere close.. we could see smoke but couldnt work out where it was coming from. More than 7 fire trucks came, and a couple of news crews.. but then we never heard anything more about it.
After dinner, Mich and I went for a walk, so i could have a look around. Had a quick look at the foot and hand prints outside the chinese theatre and whatnot. Saw a massive stretch hummer which was pretty cool..
Went back to the hostel and had some much needed sleep!

Sorry its so massively long, but i want to remember as much as i can!!

xoxo marn

Advertisement



22nd July 2009

a blog at last.we have all been hanging out for news.have you taken many photos?love you and miss you.xoxo
24th July 2009

Hi Marnee, Sounds like you're having a fun time. I feel like Im there with you as Ive heard this story before from Nic! Cant waite to hear more, take care, lots of love, G.M.
28th July 2009

toothbrush
of course i bought a tooth brush! Actually i bought one at Auckland airport - then was given one on the plane... what a waste! and lots and lots of photos, you'll have to wait til i get home to see them tho!

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb