Day 3 - Tour Time


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Decided to take the tacky route and go on a "Hollywood" star type tour. Started at Santa Monica and were shown the pier, parks and beaches.

Were told by the driver that recent new anti Paparazzi laws prevented us driving through numerous suburbs including Beverly Hills however we were shown other areas such as Brentwood (remember O.J Simpson?) and other not so well known areas. We were then dropped of at Rodeo Drive and later up to an area where we saw the Hollywood Sign and a view over LA and surrounding areas. Found the area very Desert Like with almost no green vegetation (stark contrast to home).

Next stop into Hollywood where we visited Mann's Chinese Theatre (where the stars have their hand/footprints and names in bedded in concrete). Favourite were the hand and hoof prints of cowboy icon Roy Rogers and Trigger. Red carpet was out however we were unsure what the occasion was for.

Back on the bus from where we struck chaotic afternoon traffic before being dropped back at the bus depot. Were given directions by the bus driver and found an excellent traffic free mall and went shopping. Great purchases available including brand name surf gear at about 60% of what we would pay back home.

Returned to the Santa Monica Pier for dinner and were able to watch various buskers and let the kids free in a video game arcade for an hour. Bought heaps of Yankee hats in preparation for the 4th of July celebrations in Nashville. Picked up two sim cards for our phones for $40US each so we can now stay in touch if we get separated.

Took a while to enjoy LA. Its great once your in the swing of it but its nothing on our cities, it is dry, dirty and the beaches are overrated. The people however are really friendly and the service is great. The cabbies give great info. We have finally got the hang of walking on the right hand side of the footpath (or what Eden now calls the sidewalk)

Bye for now. Have a nice day!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb