Heat, ice cream and we rock!


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, here we are finishing our trek 3 days early, mainly cause we are awesome. We had 91 miles to complete and were giving ourselves 10 days to do it. From Walker Pass to Horseshoe Meadows in the southern Sierra.

We got through the first 51 miles in 4 days cause it was the desert and water was so scarce we had to walk long distances to find springs. Most of those first 4 days were so hot that we were craving milkshakes and anything cold by half way through the day. Day 4 was amazing cause we walked out to the Kennedy Meadows general store and ate a pint of ice cream each. (I actually had most of one and Liam finished mine as well as a pint of his own)

Having only 41 miles after that, we decided to push through in 3 more days, taking our total trekking time down to 7 days. However, we ran into trouble on day 6 cause there were vast amounts of snow. Deciding that it would be too much work and take too long, we had a scenic lunch near the top of Olancha Peak at 3300 meters before going down the side trail of Olancha Pass. That was an epic 17 mile, 12 hour day, and we slept in the parking lot before hiking the last 6 miles out to the highway this morning. We got a ride back to Lone Pine fairly quickly and are now planning the next leg of our adventure.

Advertisement



25th May 2010

we had snow here too!
Actually, we had a bit of snow in Edmonton while there on a work weekend. The weather made gardening and outside work a bit of a drag - frozen fingers and all, but we had a great time. Sounds like you avoided the snow, sensible you! Are you coming back on the 5th? We'll be in Vulcan that day, struggling (me) through a triathlon. Looking forward to seeing you and all your photos. Love Mum.
26th May 2010

Ice Cream!!!
Good job, but your next trip needs to be somewhere more remote. Interrupting a rugged backpacking trip to feast on ice cream is against the rules, unless you bring me along. However, all will be forgiven if you bring a pint of ice cream (strawberry, please) some time when we all hike together on a hot day in Kananaskis Country.
10th June 2010

your nuts
Hallo Orla, Uncle liam here, got an e-mail from your mam telling us the great news. Best of luck to both of ye. I was just reading through your blog and i dont know how ye are able to do all that trecking and enjoy it. I suppose its the youth. Anyway mind yourselves and we will be in touch again. Liam S. ( I see your husband to be has a nice first name)

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb