Yosemite Valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Groveland
October 9th 2017
Published: October 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blog 10-09-17 Yosemite Valley

Up this morning about 7:15 for the dogs to go out and boy did they come in in a hurry. The temperature was 37 way up here in the mountains. We are at about 3500 ft and it sure makes a difference with the night time temperatures.

We waited for the sun to rise enough to warm things up then took the boys for their walk around the campground. By the time we all got back it was time for Ginnie and I to head off to Yosemite Valley for the day. The entrance to the park was just 5 miles down the road but we had another 40 min drive to just get to the valley. I noticed smoke and it became aparent that a nearby forest fire was smoking up the valley. I was really dissappointed that the view would not be real clear but that is the way it is

this year it seems. We drove a little further and there was a sign saying that the Maraposa Grove was closed for Restoration. I was crushed. The exact place I wanted to go to and show Ginnie was closed, and we couldn't go. Oh well, there are many different places to see so we proceeded to the Visitor Parking and thankfully found a spot to park. It was really crowded and almost every spot was taken but we saw people getting in their car and waited for them to leave. It was a VERY long walk to get to the visitor center but we finally found it and got our Passport book stamped for the Nat's Park. Then we went to the theater to see the movie on Yosemite but had to wait for it to begin. While we waited we spotted a deer a short walk away, a white tail buck with 8 points. There were 2 other deer there but we wanted a picture of the buck so we stalked him at a short distance then Ginnie was almost run over by him as he left the area. Right place at the right time. I will include Ginnie's close up with this blog.

The movie was informative then we went to the deli for lunch and since we had internet there we booked a tram ride for tomorrow afternoon. It is really cold in the morning and the tram is an open air ride so the afternoon time slot sounded good.

We went to the shuttle bus stop to get a ride back to the parking lot but found that we had to go all the way around the valley to get to our stop, so we did. There was a place where we changed buses and this one was very crowded. As we walked down the isle a young Asian couple got up and gave us their seats. What a refreshing experience! There are couterous people out there.

It was an interesting ride, where we could see sights better than while driving and went places we would not have gone. When we got to the parking lot it was so huge we didn't remember exactly where the car was so Ginnie hit the alarm button and the sound led us right to the car, we weren't far afterall.

There was one place I really wanted to go before we left the park and after getting directions we headed out and found our overlook. It is called the Tunnel Overlook, because it is right near a tunnel on the highway, and gives a beautiful overall view of the valley. I was dissapointed because the air was not clear, a little smoky, but it is still beautiful. I brough my big lense hoping to get great quality shots from here but it magnified too much to get the whole scene so I had to take pieces of the gorgeous valley. I did take bridal vail falls without a wind gust and with one and I spotted climbers on the mountain and was able to get pictures of them. The climbers actually spend the night on the cliff face suspended in a hammock like aparatus. Not for the faint of heart!

We headed home and it took us an hour to get there. I'm glad so much area is included in the park but it sure makes for a long ride. The kids were happy to see us and appeared a little wild, don't know what they were doing all day.... We all went for a walk and came back to the camper for happy hour and a rest. A short time later our neighbor Andria came home and joined us. We had a nice afternoon in conversation dispite the dogs being crazy and a little wild.

The dogs get along really well but occasionally Linus and Alfy get to ruffhousing with each other and Watson gets very upset with it. He will get between them and bark in Linus's face as if to say "stop this, you know better". He manages to stay out of their way but just keeps barking non-stop. I have to get him and keep him with me until the other 2 are done with their play then Watson goes over and seems glad they are done. Wish I knew what he was trying to say.

Then it was cold and dark again so we went inside for dinner. The dark is coming earlier and the nights are longer, I miss tv.

We talked to several people today about the best route out of here with the motorhome and it seems we have no choice but to endure the 9 mile stretch of Rt 120 that we came in on, around every hill imaginable, downhill this time, can't wait!

Tomorrow we go back to Yosemite Valley for the tram tour ride. It is 2 hrs and will be informative I'm sure. I'll have lots of facts for tomorrow's blog.

Ginnie's take on the park- confusing. It is the hardest park to get around in and not senior citizen friendly. You have to park so far away from the visitor center then walk forever to get there to find out any information. There are free shuttle buses but you don't know that until you are in the visitor's center. The buildings are far apart and there is very little signage. Amazing cliffs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb