Gilroy to Groveland, CA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Groveland
October 8th 2017
Published: October 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Blog 10-08-17 Gilroy to Groveland, CA

Ginnie and I said "Adeos" to Phyllis this morning, she drove over to wish us a happy trip. It was sad leaving her and Gilroy but hopefully she can come to FL this winter to spend several months at the campground there.

We were on the road about 9:45 and headed east on Rt 152. Yes, east, time to start heading in that direction. The road was one lane each way passing through farmland with stands every half mile selling strawberries, garlic, corn, peaches, nectorines, avacodos and almonds, just a real assortment of everything. The land was very dry but there is irragation available for a price with limited quantities. The trees were along the road and quite large and green which surprised us but it is that type of tree that stays green in the draught.

We reached the 5 and headed north and along came the wind. It wasn't too bad at first but then it really blew up a storm the further north we went. There was a cloud of dust ahead of us and yes we did get into it and it made us cough and was very irritating. Thank goodness Ginnie was driving, there are times when all that experience is really needed, and this was one of those times. I kept telling her we only had a few more miles left but it didn't help much. The wind was into our faces and must have been at least 35 to 40 mph. Nothing good about that part of the trip.

Then we finally turned off onto Hwy 120 east and the wind was now at our side pushing the motorhome off the road or at least trying. Ginnie had to hold on with both hands to keep it steady but got pushed every so often. It's the white knuckle ride.

We stopped for lunch at a pull-off and about lost the door when we got out to take the dogs for a potty break. They were eager to get back into the camper as were we. I took over driving and we wound our way up hills and up more hills til we reached the top and came down the other side. The wind was much less at that point and I was bragging about having the easier tour when we saw a sign that said, "turn off air conditioners, steep, winding road next 8 miles." Next 8 miles, they must be kidding! No joke here.

We wound our way up this hill, around the backside, over to the next one and so on for yes 8 very long miles. The turns were so sharp we couldn't go more that 25 mph if that and there were no guard rails. The dropoff was just a foot away and straight down. It was throw-up territory. Now I had the white knuckles and Ginnie had the view of the drop. Talk about sweaty palms.

Needless to say we made it because I'm writing this blog but we wondered if we would. The signs kept giving us the altitude, first 2,000 ft then 3,000 ft and still we kept rising. Finally the crest of the hill was in sight and we started down the other side, not very far though. We will be staying at about 3,000 ft and the road leveled off to just rolling hills. There were more trees now, even a Nat'l Forest but the underbrush was all brown or golden if the sun was on it. There were warnings for deer crossing, then elk warnings and finally a sign that announced that this was open range and cattle could be on the road at any time. I don't know if I mentioned open range before but cattle are released to graze certain areas, mostly higher elevatons, during the summer and then rounded up later in the year. In the mean time they can go wherever they want and God help you if you hit one. Your car is totaled and you may be too but you are liable for the cost of the cow. With all this to look out for the average CA driver still travels these roads at 65 mph. Guess the odds are in your favor.

We found the campground and also a really nice site along the South Branch of the Tuolumne River. We are under a canope of tall pine trees and have 50 amp service, water and sewer, hooray! We set up the pen for the dogs and again they came rushing out to investigate. So much fun to watch them pass judgement on their new digs.

We walked the dogs around the campground investigating for ourselves what is here. We will be staying 3 nights so we may even have time to go to the rec hall where they have a big screen tv. Haven't seen one of those in 2 months. Our neighbor is very nice, a woman full timing by herself from AZ. We invited her over for happy hour and she asked what took us so long. We had a pleasant time hearing about places she has been and us telling some of our stories. We finally broke up the party at 6:45 because it was getting cold and dark. The poor dogs hadn't even been fed but they were really good about waiting. They played outside and worked off some of their energy after being inside all day.

We had dinner then I started on the blog and Ginnie crashed, it's only 7:45.

Tomorrow we head into Yosemite and were told to do the valley first. We'll investigate when we get there.

There is no cell phone coverage here at the campground and very limited wifi so I don't know when I can publish this. I'll try tomorrow someplace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb