3rd & 4th May


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Had a few problems with accessing the internet here, hence the rather slow updates of this blog. Messed about and finally got it up and running. Its difficult to donate much time to it, with bikes to ride in the Californian sun, more things to buy, not to mention the socialising!

3rd May - I was woken up with the sound of tools, by the time I was up and dressed, James had the front wheel off my bike and taken it to get the tyre replaced, as it was cracked. After breakfast, which is brought to us sitting outside in the sun, we refitted the front wheel with the new tyre. I then went off with Colleen to purchase our bedding and other bits and pieces. The two boys stayed working on the bikes, organising tie down points for the luggage (and there is going to be a lot of it!)

On our return, it was time for the first ride, something I was getting somewhat apprehensive about. James took us out, first to the petrol station, and then up into the hills behind Claremont. Lovely roads, but too busy concentrating on the bike to fully appreciate the scenery. It's sooooo different. I think its the cornering I'm most concerned with, I'm used to a much more responsive bike where I can just open the throttle to power round bends, with this its much more about being in the right gear - I'll get used to it though. It seems it has a little more vibration too. Jim struggled a bit with his on low speeds and clutch action.

On our return Jim adjusted the clutch and found a number of loose spokes on the back wheel!

After supper we ended the day in the hot tub with beer and whisky.



4th May

Tried sorting our gear into piles, some stuff is going to have to stay here. Checked the tyre pressures, Jim's front tyre read 10psi, woops, probably should have checked that first, but did explain the rather odd handling. Went on our first solo run to Walmart for yet more stuff, as well as oil for an oil change on both bikes. Took advantage of being on our own and sneaked in our first Big Mac - 2 for $4.50

Jim did the oil on both bikes, I packed up our stuff to get an idea whether its all going to go in. Looking OK, but only if we leave the colder riding gear here, difficult decision.

Advertisement



6th May 2013

So nice to be kept up to date with your crazy US biker lives that you are leading for the next 2 months. Please be careful cornering, and after aaaaalllllll those years of \'check the oil, water and tyre pressures before you leave\' speeches, you guys should have known better!! Missed you lots this sunny bank holiday weekend. Good luck for the first bit of road tripping x x x lots of love x x x

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb