Can Travel Make You Happier?


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I answer this question in the affirmative, a big YES! From Ann Jones of Shermans Travel: A 2021 study in the journal of Tourism Analysis shows that frequent travelers are happier with their lives than people who don't travel at all. The study results indicate that respondents attaching personal importance to tourism are more likely to gather travel-relevant information, therefore are more likely to go on vacations than those who are not often thinking about their next trip. It is also found that frequent travelers are more satisfied with their life.I think about not only my next trip, but often into the next year!Art Markman, Professor of Psychology and Marketing at the University of Texas, explains that there is a growing body of evidence that shows purchases of experiences (like vacations) have a more lasting impact on people's happiness than purchases of material goods. "The travel experience itself is often enjoyable. In addition, it increases the bonds among the people who go on the trip. Finally, vacations create happy memories that can also boost well-being in the future." So, do you buy the $6000 bicycle or take the Trans Siberian Railway across Russia?More from Markham: People often travel to cities or beautiful areas of the planet that allow them to see wonderful sights firsthand. The pictures and memories of those experiences can create lasting happiness.Travel can bring family members together as well, which can create additional memories that are shared at later gatherings.

I love taking photos while on my trips and sharing them, along with daily emails to my friends and family. Some of my best times are sharing stories with friends and family. We know that planning a vacation can spark joy. Research shows that the anticipation of future travel can increase happiness--and this looks to have increased during a global pandemic. In a nutshell: There's a newfound appreciation for travel. A new study from the Institute for Applied Positive Research found that booking travel generates happiness and can alleviate stress and uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here, 97%!o(MISSING)f survey respondents reported that having a trip planned makes them happier and that 74%!o(MISSING)f respondents reported that planning something would make them feel more in control amidst so much uncertainty. Yes, like most of you, I stayed home during the pandemic. In fact, for over a year, I did not leave the county!! But I continued to gather information for future trips, plan, and hope. Hope is a wonderful thing, according to Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption. Want to feel happier? Pack that suitcase and start planning--and then begin traveling. Since I have been vaccinated, I have been to Scottsdale for Spring Training and Washington, DC for the cherry blossom. In May, I went to Poland, Germany and Greece. Am I happier? Yes, of course!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb