California, Finally


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Barstow
July 17th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A follow-up from yesterday. We checked into a RV park and went to do laundry (mostly because it was cool in there). We asked a young man what the temp was today. He said it was 123 degrees and that it would cool down to about 90 after the sun went down. I guess we never thought about going through the desert in JULY. DUH!!! We may bite the bullet and stay in a real Hotel tonight. Depends on how the day goes. No Gail, the heat does not abate by mid-day. it stays hot. Today, July 17, it was a little cooler - 105 degrees. We are stopped in another RV park in San Bernadino for the night.

Today from Needles we went through goffs, Fenner, Essex, Danby, Cadiz Summit, Ludlow, New Berry Springs, Bagdad, Barstow, Helendale, Lenwood, Hodge, Victorville and finally into San Bernadino. Pictures today include desert shots along the way, Public Art which is where people have left their names or words set out in stones or bottles along the north side of 66. Also, Spray painting on some ruins and the Shoe Tree where travelers leave shoes hanging on the tree and it looks like someone has started a bra tree as well. We saw 13 loooooong freight trains headed east throughout the day. Stopped at the Ludlow Cafe and Coffee Shop for lunch. It is old 50's architecture and furnishings. Old pix on the wall of celebs who stopped there including Elvis.

New Berry Springs brought the Bagdad Cafe where the movie of the same name was shot. It is one of my all time favorite movies so had to stop and look around. In Helendale we saw the former site of the Sagebrush Inn where Sagebrush Annie ran a roadhouse that raised eyebrows and the Bottle Tree Ranch which was a little wierd to be in. Creator Elmer Long must have been or is a strange duck.

I believe that tomorrw we should make it all the way to the Santa Monica Pier and our Rt. 66 adventure will be over. But, we will take our time getting home and hope to stop at Yosemite and Yellowstone.

See you on the road..........


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th July 2010

Hot!
Now, 105 IS a lot cooler than 123, guys. (Give me a break here. We didn't go to the desert in the summer, though except when we moved to GA in August & drove across the Mohave in a 1960 Ford with 2 young boys & on air conditioning except rolled-down windows.) You should find the coastal plain much more pleasant. Don't miss the Pacific! The seal rocks in Laguna Beach (my fav place--try Victor Hugo's near the main beach for food or just the view) or if you head south, in La Jolla (entrance is inside a tourist trap just off the north end of town & takes you thru a tunnel right down ONto the rocks!) Definitely try to drive up the coastal 101 to Santa Barbara, Moro Beach, The Redwood Forest to Hearst Castle, 17 mile Drive in Monterey & San Francisco if you can. Some places on Earth may equal that in beauty, but doubt that any can surpasse that admittedly long drive. BY THE WAY: Heard on the news that people were advised not to go barefoot in the desert today due to the extreme heat.
20th July 2010

Your Trip
Many of the things you have seen bring back memories of ou camping days and traveling west. I envy you. Enjoy every minute and travel sfe.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb