Extra Day at Steel Creek


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas
June 4th 2018
Published: July 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Steel Creek CampgroundSteel Creek CampgroundSteel Creek Campground

Still a little misty as we get an early start on our hiking trip. "We'll be back by noon" we said. "Better to beat the heat" we said. All I can say is that it's a good thing we started when we did because it was nearly 7pm by the time we made our final wade across the river back into the campground. Boy was I tired!
After rising early, we actually loaded up in the car and drove to a nearby trailhead afforded us the opportunity to hike to Big Bluff, Granny Henderson's Cabin, and Snead's Creek. All of which were on our original itinerary, although we would have been hiking/canoeing to them from starting points along the river. But as it turned out, it provided us with mostly downhill hiking, and by returning to our camp (at Steel Creek campground) via the Old River horse trail, we actually got to see a small portion of the Upper Buffalo that we were now not going to get to canoe down due to the low water level.
And by staying the additional night at Steel Creek, we also ate up one of the camp meals I had planned for the whole group (all nine of us) and I was able to ditch a lot of weight before we actually hit the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Leaving the TrailheadLeaving the Trailhead
Leaving the Trailhead

Started off in the middle of the woods on a fairly level horse trail, but we knew the view when we finally reached the river would be worth it.
Big BluffBig Bluff
Big Bluff

And Boy was it! See the river down there? This is looking back upstream.
MaxMax
Max

OK, time to pose for pictures to prove we were here.
Goat TrailGoat Trail
Goat Trail

This is why they call this the Goat Trail
View Looking DownView Looking Down
View Looking Down

We couldn't really look straight down off of the bluff. Or maybe I should say, "I" couldn't see straight down because I was too scared to get that close to the edge of the bluff. I did manage this picture from the safely of a cedar tree.
More PhotosMore Photos
More Photos

After we got all the pictures we wanted, we just sat there on the bluff and ate our lunch. What a beautiful view from our makeshift cafe. We were actually looking down on several large buzzard hawks flying below us hunting for their lunch.
Granny's CabinGranny's Cabin
Granny's Cabin

After lunch we continued on down the main trail to Granny Henderson's old place.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb