A Rib Ticklin', Knee Slappin', Good Time


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
November 28th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.3787, -111.691

Not our usual 8pm activity, tonight was date night and we did it up fine at the Howdy Dinner Extravaganza. Billed as "A Rib Ticklin', Knee Slappin', Hand Clappin', Tummy Fillin', Gall-Darn Good Time," and boy was it.

We had great fun at this dinner theater in the coolest little old west town. You'd never know it was smack dab in the middle of Mesa as you wend your way through a cave-like entrance complete with stalactites and dripping water walls.

We looked at each other, "Where in the world are we?"

The show was rollicking and the food, great, but you know what was the very best? During the before show entertainment we noticed this Down Syndrome girl sitting under the window writing in her workbook, grinning at nobody, singing along to herself...

Well, the singer introduced her to us. Her name is Melissa and she's the singer's sister. She had written a song and been to Nashville to record it about this sweet story of how Melissa and her boyfriend were named Homecoming King and Queen of their high school here in Mesa.

Melissa stood up and did her Miss America wave to everyone with this great Daisy smile--
I mean... think Daisy with a red cowboy hat and jeans and you have this girl.

Made me tear up, dang it.

Oh, and when we walked in they gave us each a little gift--me a bright blue boa and Bob a western tie. Oh yea, we were cute. You don't see any pictures as evidence, though, do you. No no, we were incognito cute.

Here's a tip for anyone coming to Phoenix: get signed up on the Internet for Groupon and get email alerts for special deals in the valley. We saved a bunch of money by getting half price tickets for tonight. It works like this, you have 24 hours to purchase and if they get enough buyers the deals on, if not, you're not charged. So you either buy or ignore with a new deal coming out every day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb