Traveling to the Rose Parade


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
December 21st 2012
Published: December 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

The National Border Patrol Museum in the hills around El Paso is an interesting recap of a storied history. Unfortunately, as a not for profit private enterprise, it's not government supported and shows it. Dependent on donations of funds and displays it shows a lack of both with the store occupying 1/3 of the space available and the displays of antique value. The BP started as a result of Chinese immigration problems, wars with Mexico, and WWI. Finally, in the 1930's it was put under the Department of Justice (from Interior) and 9/11 brought it into prominence with Congress providing close to sufficient funding, staffing and equipment. We visited the Chamizal National Monument celebrating the signing of the Chamizal Treaty of 1963. The Treaty was a milestone in diplomatic relations between the United States of Mexico and the United States of America. It resulted in the peaceful settlement of a century-long boundary dispute (over 600 acres of land that changed nationality due to the Rio Grand River meandering) between the neighboring countries. Finally in 1963, after a two year negotiation and accurate surveying by a special international commission, the Presidents of the US and Mexico shook hands and signed a treaty. The NPS Ranger was erudite in discussing the local social environment as very friendly. He noted that many of the local Border Patrol agents are hired from local citizens who understand the nature of the illegals they're intercepting and often return them deep in Mexico, rather than to the drug cartel infestation of Ciudad Juarez. He noted that many Juarez Mexicans were born in the US, El Paso having 6 great hospitals plus the aura of US citizenship, so when the drug wars started they moved their businesses to El Paso, improving the retail picture in the north. NAFTA was also a contributing factor, which we learned years ago in McAllen. Thus the USA improved its economic status as a result.

<a name="role_document"></a>As the breezes blow, to the extent we have to bring the slide outs in at night, we enjoyed a fine Sunday Christmas buffet at the Community Center (no officer or enlisted clubs are left). This base is huge with many commercial services available throughout. The Community Center and RV Park people are very helpful and have excellent facilities.

Sunday in El Paso is spent seeing museums and learning the fascinating history of the place. We're glad we saw Mexico when we did year's ago as no one's going there now because of the drug cartel problems. I did learn that in 1881 El Paso was a small adobe settlement when the railroad came through on their way toward completing the second transcontinental connection. Incorporated in 1883, the city council's first act was to make swimming and bathing in the city's water supply river illegal. By 1890 this was a thriving area with, eventually, 8 railroads and the largest rail yards in the country, after Chicago and St. Louis. Ft Bliss played an important role in the protection of the settlers, from the Indians, Mexicans and “bandits”. It is interesting to see the positive mixture of cultures in this area while looking at the electronically fortified “fence” along the border, shades of the North and South Korea demarcation we saw on our cruise a couple of years ago. Tomorrow we continue our western trek.

Monday morning, 17 December, we travel to Tucson and pull into the Fam Camp at Davis-Monthan AFB. This campground has spacious pull through sites with handy restrooms and is handily located within the base complex with easy access to commissary, exchange, gas stations and RV/car wash area. We relax, make up at Rotary clubs, wash the rig, replenish supplies and attend a luncheon hosted by the Fam Camp. As there happens to be a casino nearby Mary exercises her visiting privileges. An interesting trip is to the military plane “bone yard” as part of the air base. Tours are arranged through the local Pima Air and Space Museum. Our next leg will be to San Diego where the Fam Camps are full but we used PassPort America membership for discounts at a local campground. Hopefully it'll be warmer and less windy there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb