Mesa Verde/Arizona/Flagstaff/Sedona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
April 17th 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have really seen some amazing views and vistas.
The Mesa Verde is located at the southwest corner of Colorado.
The cliff dwellers lived there about 800 to 1200 years ago.
How they climbed up and down those sheer cliffs I'll never know.
They built cliff dwellings up high but their water source was low down.
At one panorama view that we were across from we saw 6 dwellings, as you panned your view from left to right.
The women ground dried corn for flour and then stored the flour in pots they made for the winter. I tried some corn grinding in a museum nearby and I'm afraid I'd starve!
We stopped at several lookouts; and saw a raven in her nest in a cliff indentation. There were lots of ravens.
We saw juniper trees and pinon trees.
More recently Rick collected some juniper berries , as we saw the Navajo currently use them in their necklaces. Rick will no doubt mention how little he liked the drive into and out of the Mesa Verde plateau.
The road did 180 degree turns.! Fairly narrow and no guard rails!
That nite we stayed in Cortez. And the next am it was snowing!! That wet snow, big flakes and likely due to melt by 10 am when the temp went up.
Our drive that day took us into Arizona where we soon were on Navajo territory.
We went miles with great long vistas; always mountains in the distance;and very little habitation; not many animals (a few horses, cattle); homes and communities once in a while.
About 5 hours later we were in Flagstaff.
We got into a Super 8 here for under 50.00 and it is quite nice. We reserved this motel to return to after the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon:
Very crowded our first day there, arriving 1:30 in the aft.
There are shuttle buses that run you can take to get from place to place in the Grand Canyon Village.
I rode on one (an hour to do the loop) trying to see the various lodges, other than the one we were in, but there were so many day trippers(bus had lots standing as well as sitting) it was hard to see anything except the lovely ponderosa pines .
Every time we viewed the canyon the vista had some differences than a previous view.

Most times we could see the river about a mile down. the colours were sandstone; green; gray;
45 million tourists come here each year; the canyon has layers 2 billion years old to 270 billion years old.
We heard many languages!! Lots of Germans and orientals.
The Thursday was less crowded and more enjoyable. We left at 8:30 am and walked to the rim; then caught a shuttle bus that stopped at about 10 vistas.(does a loop and back to where you got on) Those buses came by every 15 min. Our early morning driver had lots to say!! Some drivers were more talkative than others. But all seemed nice. We got off about 5 times; I returned to our lodge and Rick walked along the rim, skipped a ride on the shuttle he could have had. He walked 2.25 mi.
That day we also lounged around and took short walks and drives the to the village. The Market Plaza sold a gallon of milk for 4.69; we had bought the same for 2.18 the day before at a grocery store. Let's hope the hikers shop elsewhere!
The temp got to about 65 F that day.

Today (Apr 17,sat)we drove to Sedona . There was an elevation drop of 7000' in Flagstaff to just over 4000' in Sedona.
The route there was the "scenic"one on the map;another twisty , turny mountain side road with gorgeous cliffs ; sandstone for awhile and gradually the red was seen on the cliffs. These red buttes there are magnificent and surround the town of Sedona. This scenic route was all downhill , about 23 miles long. There were a few places near the bottom for tourists to stay.
This town has a warmer climate that Flagstaff, about at least 10 to 15 degrees warmer today; and the trees there had new green growth; planted pansies doing fine and some neat purple wildflowers in patches at the side of the road.
Rick got a list of all the movies ever made in Sedona(westerns)At least 25 in all.
Finding staff , other tourists , and Navajo we spoke to (selling their stuff) to all be quite friendly.

Maybe a few more days in Arizona then leave for Texas.
Our drive from Flagstaff will be south east and thru the lower southwest corner of New Mexico, passing thru Silver City. This drive in New Mexico will be more mountains to go thru.
Take care all.




Advertisement



19th April 2010

following your blog
Hi Ira and Rick....still lovely weather here....cool at night, hot in the day. Norm and I went to Maggie and Eddo's for dinner last night. No news...except it looks like Pep and Shawn are buying Oma's house. They will sign the papers today...also...Kevin had his birthday on Fri....I had my last class with the 1st group...look forward to your next blog. xxo Darlene

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb