Day 4 Destination Las Cruces, AZ area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
January 25th 2008
Published: January 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fog on our way out of TucumcariFog on our way out of TucumcariFog on our way out of Tucumcari

We ran into some fog just a few minutes outside of town. But there was frost all over too. We were a little worried about black ice so we took it easy.
We had a nice breakfast at the hotel and then hit the road. We were welcomed by clear blue skies and although it was a little cool, it was not as frigid as it was yesterday! It was bone chilling. About 10 miles down the road it became very misty-like and then we noticed that all the trees and shrubbery and clumps of grass were tipped with frost! It is kind of weird to see frost and fog at the same time!!! Freezing fog? The fog soon gave way to clear blue skies again! Mother Nature at her best!

We continue to be amazed at the diversity of the terrain as we travel. Even though a lot of this area of the country is pretty barren, it really possesses its own beauty. I prefer the lushness of the tropical landscape but I can see how people are drawn to this part of the country. It is definitely a vast region of wide open spaces! But then I think of all the snakes and scorpions and other poisonous little critters native to the area........ So pretty much driving through New Mexico all day, there has not been a lot of excitement.
Train along the highwayTrain along the highwayTrain along the highway

Just to show the visibility.....


We made it to Deming, NM at about 4.30 pm and are staying at the Best Western here. Very nice rooms! We have never stayed at many Best Westerns but so far they have been very nicely appointed and they are pet friendly. Tonite the kitties are going to be locked in the bathroom to sleep. Jazzy is ok, but Misty is up wandering, crying, jumping on us and just being a real pain. We will see how that works out. We will put their beds in there so they will be very comfy. Will report on that later......

Hope you enjoy the pics.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mother NatureMother Nature
Mother Nature

......and then we drove out of the fog and eventually it became blue skies and sunshine
Burger King!Burger King!
Burger King!

Just being himself!!!!
My first cactus!My first cactus!
My first cactus!

Outside of the Burger King Socorro, NM I saw the first cactus of the trip!
Oh dear!!!!Oh dear!!!!
Oh dear!!!!

Mike decided that we should take a closer look at this VW w/ 60,000 miles so he took it for a test run. Well, you can see how surprised I was to learn that the breaks failed! lol Williamsburg, NM
Hacienda Inn--do we dare???Hacienda Inn--do we dare???
Hacienda Inn--do we dare???

It sure was a temptation, but we decided to forego on that one. But what a deal!!!
Hatch RV ManHatch RV Man
Hatch RV Man

On our way to Deming we took a "shortcut" on Highway 26 and went through this interesting little town called Hatch, NM. This is the Hatch Man at the entrance of an RV park!
Palmas Italian GrillPalmas Italian Grill
Palmas Italian Grill

We decided to eat Italian rather than Mexican since we will be spending time in Mexico. There were some very authentic Mexican restaurants here too! But the owner of the restaurant came out and sang among the diners--what a voice. Sounded just like Sinatra, I kid you not! Great food too!


26th January 2008

A man who wears many hats!
Can't wait to see what's next! And I loved the singing waiter...did he do "My Way"??? Hey, if you get bored after a few weeks, you can always come looking for me in Laguna Hills! Keep on having fun and stay safe.
26th January 2008

LOVED THE VW.
THAT WAS A GREAT ONE ON THE VW. LOVED THAT HATCHET MAN TOO. THE HACIENDA WAS A GREAT DEAL BUT YOU MIGHT HAVE LEFT WITH BEDBUGS. HA.
26th January 2008

Hi. I could not write a comment to day 3 because the site kept timing out. Anyway, I love the pics on Day 4. What a riot. You really know how to come upon such objets!!!! Also, I see you are getting quite poetic in your writing. Love it!! LOL Hope you get to rest some today. We are going to Bullhead. I heard there is a Target there. It is about 40 min. from LHC. Art said there is a Big Lots, too. Whooo-hoooo!!!! Later............... Sue

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb