We came, we ate, we horseyed!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Yucca
January 5th 2020
Published: January 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

What a magnificent three days we’ve had at the horse ranch. Before we arrived, we were asked how much we weighed so that they could match us up with the right horse...I think departure weight significantly exceeds that number!!

Geoff and I have been surprised how much we’ve enjoyed the riding. Yesterday arvo, we went to the Quartz Vein, a strange outcrop of white rocks. We had to ride over a number of river beds, down and over and up, down and over and up. The down momentum even propelled John into a trot quite a few times. Emma was quite keen to run on all the down (to ensure she had enough momentum to propel me and my gut up the other side) but I was not too keen on that!

Despite the desert appearing empty and barren from a distance, when you’re traversing the dry creek beds, you begin to appreciate the life they support, even for the short few weeks they must hold water.

Another dinner session of eating and some time playing pool and enjoying the campfire before a well-earned rest.

The girls were keen to tackle some ‘fast riding’ this morning, the parents less so, so we split up and they had their fun out of our sight! We had a great ride along some old creek beds...John is clearly not a morning horse and was quite reluctant to do anything but meander along at his own pace and along his own path, but Emma was keen to get up a bit of speed, which was fun.

The girls survived their speedy outing, and we were all replenished before a nice relaxing walk-ride for the afternoon. The horses were clearly tired (all about them, nothing about our poor old legs!) so we took it easy and enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of meandering through the desert.

Bade farewell to our trusty steeds as they bunker down for a Sunday rest. We soaked our weary bones in the pool and hot tub before another massive feed...and preparation for our departure to Sedona tomorrow. Bye bye horseys...thanks for the excellent fun, it’s not just the lighter riders who will miss you!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb