Change of scenery


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Yucca
January 3rd 2020
Published: January 3rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Complete change of temperature and scenery now...we’ve moved from the wet, hilly, green, snowy vistas of the north east to the brown, sparse desert expanse of Arizona. Arrived here via an early morning start from Boston (to just catch the last of the hard-core New Year’s revellers) to Vegas, where we made a hasty exit (well, at least we tried).

We have acquired a new tank-like vehicle to navigate our way around the south. First stop was Oatman to check out the resident burros. Next, after a long drive through some very empty space, we arrived at Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch, our home for the next few days.

Introductions all round (goats, horses, wranglers) before a hearty meal and a much-needed sleep.

The following few days have been filled with eating and relaxation, punctuated by the occasional horse ride into the desert. We’ve each been allocated a horse for our time here (Sis for Eloise, Gambler for Beeb, Emma for me and Big John for Geoff). You get the real sense of the Wild West as you head off into the desert on horseback - clear blue skies, low and scrubby vegetation, the occasional hare darting by, with miles and miles of sandy, rocky ground stretching towards blue-grey hills in the distance, which always appear to be unattainable.

Big John is intent on not breaking into a trot, and is happy at his own pace, much like his rider, while the others have given us a bit of experience at faster speed. Yesterday’s ride were just walks, but today we went a bit further, up to the aptly-named Cactus Hill where we could hear a pack of coyotes in the distance - it was so still and calm up there, it felt like you could hear as far as you could see.

The girls have loved the riding experience, but possibly enjoyed hanging out with the pet goats even more. Another day here before heading to Sedona...where we had intended to do some walking...may need to revisit that after three days on horseback!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb