Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
October 4th 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bush FireBush FireBush Fire

On our way to the Grand Canyon.
Today we left Nigels brothers and headed for the Grand Canyon. We continued on Route 66 and drove past towns such as Bluewater - This is vastly different from the Bluewater familiar to us, and Gallup. About half an hour or so later we were in Arizona, the views in New Mexico and Arizona are definitely the best by far so far on our trip. Although my camera skills don’t justify this you really have to see it for yourself.

Route 66 is pretty much shared with Interstate 40 at this point only coming off to enter specific towns that it still runs directly through.

We soon required more fuel, so stopped at the next available gas station. This was in an Indian Reservation. You could only use cards here, and would it accept our cards….. No…… Of course it wouldn’t! The owners were an elderly couple typical of what you may expect at an Indian Reservation. The little old man came over to our rescue, and said he would use his card. We duly paid him in cash, we went on our way.

We drove through Flagstaff, and headed towards the Grand Canyon, entering on the east
Mountains!Mountains!Mountains!

Another pic on the way
side of the South rim. We parked up and walked down to one of the many view points. The view was overwhelming, although we couldn’t appreciate the full scale of the Canyon, until we spoke to a guy that had just hiked down to the Colorado River - Lucky for me, we were only kitted out in our flip flops - Not exactly good for hiking! The guy had - Hiking boots, walking sticks, energy drinks and even oxygen!

We drove through the Canyon Forest for 20 miles stopping off at other various view points, we also passed wild deer wandering on the road. We then left via the South exit, driving through Bedrock, and eventually into Williams where we decided to stay the night. We checked into the Route 66 Inn, and Myself and Nige headed out to a local bar whilst Katie freshened up.

Williams is one of the few remaining thriving towns on Route 66, Its not a big bustling town but nor is it a near on derelict town like some we have driven through, It has 2 main roads full of shops, bars, restaurants and hotels/motels.

We headed back for Katie then out for dinner at a nearby steak house, and yes Nige did have steak!

So far on our trip we have covered 1917 miles - Well Nige has, Myself and Katie are yet to drive!

Due to a poor internet connection we were unable to do this last night. And still this morning we struggled, so its a tad rushed



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



4th October 2007

Hello
Hi Guys, just to let you know youve become famous Nige, the whole of Abbotts is talking about your steak challenge, one way to get talked about anyway, good to hear youre having fun, while Im stuck here at work, missing you all xx
4th October 2007

At last we catch up
Hi Peeps Just worked out how use this, as we are blog virgins. Have really enjoyed your journey and adventures so far. Keep up the good work. luv Loz & Viv
6th October 2007

Keys
Hi Guys, Really enjoying your tour. You really have witnessed some spectacular scenery. Anyway, I wonder if you can do me a favour? When I was there in 1994 I left my keys somewhere in the Canyon. If you get a minute could you have a quick look and bring them home for me. Cheers Paulx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb