Travel Your Backyard ~ Weekend Getaways (Part2)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
January 19th 2010
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Getting away for just a weekend can subdue the travel bug and be a restful vacation with little effort. We like planning weekend trips because they are uncomplicated, usually inexpensive and are sure to create pleasant memories without the stress of a full fledged vacation. We just want to encourage you to get out and have some fun. Wherever you live we are sure there are weekend getaways that you can take advantage of....get busy and plan it, go do it and share it here on TravelBlog!

One such weekend destination for us is Sedona, Arizona. Only a 2 hour drive from Phoenix, you arrive in Red Rock Country without even having to stop for gas, providing you fill up before leaving!

Sedona offers the majesty of seeming you are hiking the Grand Canyon without having to hike down to the basin and all the way back up. You are already down in the canyon. There are so many trails in Red Rock Country I seriously don't have any idea how long it would take a person to do them all. The trails vary from easy to strenuous, so there is a trail for every level of hiker. Some of our favorites are; Bell Rock~Courthouse Butte Trail, Fay Canyon Trail, The West Fork Trail along Oak Creek and the Indian Cliff Dwellings at Palatki.

A Red Rock Parking pass is required to park at all trail heads. You can purchase them at any of the 4 visitor centers in the Sedona area. Here is a helpful link to the Red Rock Country~ Coconino National Forest website. It has a lot of useful information.

We have camped in Oak Creek Canyon, very nice! In the winter some campgrounds are closed. For our last visit 2 weeks ago we stayed in a local hotel that had an in room jacuzzi, which was very welcoming after a long hike in the snow!

Other things to do in Sedona besides hiking and camping include shopping along the main street with a free shuttle bus from one end to the other.That way you only have to find a parking place once. Very convenient during peak tourist season. You can eat at the Cowboy Club Restaurant, they serve a great ribeye steak and their specialty is cactus fries! We tried them for the first time on our last visit and we
liked them! They remove the thorns of course and slice them like fries, batter and fry them up. They are served with a red wine vinaigrette dipping sauce. Very tasty!

If hiking is not for you, there are scenic drive routes and pink jeep tours. Yes the jeeps are really pink!

Also you can get your aura photographed, there are vortexs to get vortexed, get your palm read, a physic healing and meet an alien! All of which we think is really crazy....but there to partake in, if you want to shell out the $$$!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SedonaSedona
Sedona

You wouldn't want to take off running through here in your flip flops!
IronwoodIronwood
Ironwood

Wikipedia says almost any kind of tree in Arizona is considered Ironwood.
The Day HikersThe Day Hikers
The Day Hikers

Lori & Alan
Old HomesteadOld Homestead
Old Homestead

Old Homestead at base of Westfork Trail
Boynton CanyonBoynton Canyon
Boynton Canyon

This was my least favorite trail so far. Too much of the hike is past resorts and homes.
CentipedeCentipede
Centipede

This creature has been know to eat small mammals such as children and rodents!!
SedonaSedona
Sedona

Boyton Canyon Trail


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb