Jerome-Tuzigoot


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
September 27th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Road to JeromeRoad to JeromeRoad to Jerome

This is the flat part of the road to Jerome. You can see part of the town in the upper right hand portion of the picture.
Today we started out having breakfast at the famous "Coffee Pot" Restaurant....I say it's famous because the parking lot is always overflowing with cars AND there are tons of autographed pictures from celebrities that have eaten there. Some of the celebrities include Elvis, Matt LaBlanc and Melissa Etheridge. There are 101 omelette varieties on the menu. Kim had a #3 (3 cheeses) and I had a #10 (ham, cheese, green peppers and onions). I wonder what Elvis ate? Hmmm....they DID have a peanut butter, jelly and banana omelette on the menu....coincidence????


We then drove about 25-30 miles to Jerome, AZ which is a national historic landmark....a very famous "ghost town". It was known for it's copper mining operations and it's said that over 1 billion dollars of ore was mined in just over 70 years. The mines closed in the 1950's and it's said that only about 50 permanent residents remained.....UNTIL the "hippies" and artists started moving there in the 1970's. The present population is said to be 450 with tourism being the main source of income. The town is perched along the side of "Cleopatra Hill" and is a series of winding roads, stairways and alleys. Another nailbiter
Downtown JeromeDowntown JeromeDowntown Jerome

A view of one of the main streets in Jerome...full of gift shops, art galleries and restaurants.
of a drive....one hairpin turn after another with hardly any guardrails. We went to the Mining Museum and strolled around the town and did some shopping. The houses there are very "rustic" and date back many years...some have been maintained more than others. We stopped at their General Store for a bottle of water and couldn't believe that for many....this was their grocery store or at very least their convenience store. What a different pace of life.

We then drove down Cleopatra Hill (I say mountain)....that road was steep! We headed to an ancient indian ruin named Tuzigoot. (Which means "crooked water" in Apache). We hiked up the hill to the pueblo ruins and took some pictures. In the distance you could see very green grass and lots of trees. It all looked so peaceful.

Then we headed back to Sedona for some lunch and more shopping.

We have enjoyed our time in Sedona and exploring the nearby sights. Tomorrow we are off to the Grand Canyon. We won't have internet connection there....so we'll put up our Grand Canyon photos after we return home to Las Vegas on Saturday night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Jerome ResidenceJerome Residence
Jerome Residence

This place looked a little crooked and unsteady and at first glance didn't look like it was lived in....then we noticed the curtains and the chairs on the front porch.
Jerome Fixer UpperJerome Fixer Upper
Jerome Fixer Upper

Quite the fixer upper....a new roof and it's all ready to be rented to tenants. LOL
Jerome General StoreJerome General Store
Jerome General Store

It was like stepping back in time....
Tuzigoot Close UpTuzigoot Close Up
Tuzigoot Close Up

A close up shot of a portion of the ruins with the green valley in the background.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb