Sunset Crater--Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset Crater and Lava FieldSunset Crater and Lava FieldSunset Crater and Lava Field

This is the lava field we walked around....beautfiful flowers were growing here...both red and yellow.
Today we got an early start because we wanted to pack in A LOT of sightseeing....Sunset Crater, Wupatki Ruins and Grand Canyon. We ate a quick breakfast at the Sedona McDonalds. This McDonalds is famous for having teal arches instead of golden arches. The Sedona city government wouldn't allow McDonalds to use the gold color because they insist that all buildings in Sedona have a Southwestern color scheme.

We decided to enter the Grand Canyon Park at the eastern entrance so we could visit Sunset Crater and Wupatki Ruins along the way. Sunset Crater is what is left of an old volcano that erupted between 1040-1100, including the lava flows and remaining cinders. It is approximately 1000 feet tall and very stark although there is a lot of wildlife present...pretty flowers, animals and such. It is one of over 600 volcano cinder cones present in the area....almost all the mountains in the area are of volcanic origin.

Kim and I enjoyed walking through the lava field....there was a nice hiking trail and several scenic overlooks. We took pictures, pictures and more pictures. It was amazing to see beautiful red flowers growing in cinders and lava. It was also very
Red Flower Close UpRed Flower Close UpRed Flower Close Up

Here is a close up of the flowers growing in lava field.
chilly here compared to Sedona. It was only about 65 degrees and cloudy and windy. We even had to put on our sweaters!

We then drove to the Wupatki Ruins....we stopped at the Citadel ruin. It was fascinating to see even more ruins left behind by the Indians and imagine back in time to when it was bustling with activity.


Another hour or so later we were at the Grand Canyon....we stopped at the Desert View overlook which is famous for it's watchtower built in 1933. It was very blustery and chilly at the Grand Canyon....but who cares when you're enjoying such a beautiful view? We followed the road along the rim until we got to Grand Canyon Village. Once at the village we found our hotel room for the night....at Maswik Lodge and had a late lunch (stuffed porkchops YUM!). The hotel room was very basic with only a fan (no air conditioning) luckily we didn't need the AC.

We then went to the El Tovar which is the fanciest, grandest of all the accomodations at the Grand Canyon. The lobby is like an old lodge with stuffed moose, deer and elk heads on the
Citadel Indian RuinCitadel Indian RuinCitadel Indian Ruin

There were rooms at the bottom and top of this ruin. It was the only hill on a flat plain so there was a good view for miles and miles in all directions.
walls. We enjoyed the atmosphere and would like to stay there next time.

We also visited Bright Angel Lodge, Hopi House and Lookout Studio and enjoyed sunset along the rim. Words can't describe it....so I won't even try.

On our way back to Maswik Lodge we saw 4 deer crossing the road and run up along the railroad tracks. I tried to get my camera out and take a picture while driving but only ended up with a picture of their behinds running away from me.


That is really the end of our vacation.....we got up the next morning (Sat) and drove the 4 hours back home to Las Vegas. All in all we put 947 miles on our rental car from Tuesday-Sunday.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Desert View WatchtowerDesert View Watchtower
Desert View Watchtower

This is the view walking to the watchtower from the parking lot. There is a real build up of excitement because you KNOW the Grand Canyon is just that close.
Desert  ViewDesert  View
Desert View

This is the view from just in front of the watchtower.
Maswik LodgeMaswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge

This is the lodge building where we spent the night. Located 1/4 mile from the rim....amidst huge pine trees.
Sunset Part 2 Sunset Part 2
Sunset Part 2

This is my favorite picture (of mine LOL) of the Grand Canyon. It was taken from behind the Bright Angel Lodge
Can you find the deer?Can you find the deer?
Can you find the deer?

Believe it or not....there are deer in this photo...it was the best I could do while driving. :)


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb