Sedona Revisited


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
March 9th 2024
Published: March 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

From Bing Travel: Regularly described as one of America’s most beautiful places, Sedona is in the northern Verde Valley region about two and half hours north of Phoenix. Known for its towering red rocks and jagged sandstone buttes, this desert destination is a popular travel spot year-round. A hiker’s paradise, Sedona has more than 100 different trails that range in difficulty.

The people at The Hike House can help prepare travelers for the trail. One of the most popular is Cathedral Rock Trail, which offers breathtaking views of the area’s red rock formations. The Bell Rock Pathway, Devil's Bridge Trail, Boynton Canyon, and Palatki Ruins all feature ancient Native American ruins and cave paintings along the way. Jeep tours are another great way to explore the area. Most include a narrated tour, some walking, and of course, stops for photo opportunities.

And travelers won’t want to miss a stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Built in the 1950s, the stunning church protrudes from the red cliffs and features beautiful stained glassed windows that overlook the Verde Valley.


Fortunately, I have been to Sedona at least 6 or 8 times over the years. We often visited in the winter, during our visits to Scottsdale. Not long ago, we drove to Sedona, via Las Vegas with Lexi. In fact, it was right at the start of Covid! The rain came and we decided to drive home, non-stop from Scottsdale to Clovis.


If you have never been, I strongly suggest you do some research about the famous Sedona "vortexes." Sedona went through a big New Age movement in the 1980s, and four spots became popular to visit for spiritual reasons. These “vortexes” are said to have been created by spiraling spiritual energy that can facilitate prayer, meditation, and even healing.


There are vortex tours that will take you to all 4 sites (located at Bell Rock, Airport Mesa, Cathedral Rock, and Boynton Canyon), or you can visit them on your own. But, be warned: most of them require a hike, which can be unpleasant in the height of summer. Hint: I found them all!


The next best things to do, in no certain order are: hiking, biking, shopping downtown Sedona, a Pink Jeep Tour, and a drive up to Jerome. But for me, and the reason I am driving here from Phoenix and Scottsdale is to dine at the Cafe Elote, one of the best restaurants in Arizona, maybe the entire southwest.


From the Sedona Chamber: Located at 771 State Route 179, Elote Café Sedona brings stylish sophistication to menu items that highlight the best of what makes the southwest truly flavorful. At the hands of Chef Jeff Smedstad, Elote Café dishes serve up meals that speak to his many travels through Puebla, Vera Cruz, and Oaxaca. Where travels inspire taste, the dishes at Elote Café are a step above the rest. Utilizing organic products and local fare, Chef Smedstad has transformed Elote Café into an oasis of palate-pleasing plates that are ecologically responsible and economically sound.
Dinner at Elote Café begins with a fresh take on Mexican favorites. Begin your evening with guacamole, goat cheese drizzled in honey, green corn tamales or pork carnitas.

White truffle corn soup or Baja fish tacos also make a wonderful taste bud teaser prior to digging into the main dish. Once you’re ready for more, the main course is sure to please. Main dish options include braised lamb, chipotle shrimp, smoked pork cheeks and a variety of enchiladas made to taste. An extensive in-house dessert list ensures that every guest leaves Elote Café on a sweet and savory note. Feel free to indulge in Mexican chocolate pie, vanilla bean flan or blackberry sorbet before returning home for the night. If you’re not quite ready to throw the towel in, Elote Café serves up a stellar menu of after-dinner drinks that should not be missed.

Sip Almendrado Tequila, Kahlua or Graham’s 20-Year Tawny Port when you’re looking for a sophisticated edge to burning away the fullness you’ve well-earned.


In the days before they took reservations, patrons had to line up outside the restaurant, even in the cold and rain. But we gladly withstood the elements since the food is outstandingly good. We sat outside, in their patio, under umbrellas and heat lamps until our name was called. But after moving to a larger place, Elote takes reservations!!!


Whether you are visiting the Grand Canyon, Scottsdale for Spring Training, or taking photos at Antelope Canyon, I strongly suggest you stop in Sedona.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb