Day 11 of Road Trip to the Southwest - Painted Desert and Petrified Forest


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since today's major attraction - Painted Desert and Petrified Forest - was at the west of Gallup, NM, I had to drive backward (to the west) for about 80 miles. Painted Desert and Petrified Forest were two national parks in one. Here you could see beautiful desert with colors so vibrant that you would not normally imagine for a desert. The colors ranged from pink, orange, purple, and red at the front park to black, gray, brown, and yellow at the back park. The petrified woods were from a forest dated back to the pre-dinosaurs age. The polished ones in the visitor center were beautiful. Those left in the wild were much rougher but carried with a lot of characters. There was also an Indian pueblo ruin site in the park. Ancient Indian lived here thoundsands years ago before they moved to a different part of state. The park document indicated that the quantity of petrified woods in the park was significantly less than years ago due to stealing from people who visited the park before - either for commercial profit making or for personal memories. I sure hoped people would exercise more discipline nowadays so that our future generations could see these amazing nature's creations in its natural state. Fossils of pre-dinosaurs animal were found in this national park and I sure hoped this park would provide more clues for us to understand the rise and the fall of the dinosaurs age. I took a lot of pictures.

On my way to Albuquerque, I tried to stop by the Inscription Rock but it went dark before I could reach there. I was stopped by a nice police lady for speeding - trying to get to there before the sunset. I talked my way out of a ticket. Since it was dark, I headed straight to Albuquerque and found a motel on the historic route 66.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Painted Desert 3Painted Desert 3
Painted Desert 3

The color changed from rainbow to black, gray and yellow.
Painted Desert 4Painted Desert 4
Painted Desert 4

The color changed from rainbow to black, gray and yellow.
Painted Desert 5Painted Desert 5
Painted Desert 5

The color changed from rainbow to black, gray and yellow.
Painted Desert 6Painted Desert 6
Painted Desert 6

The color changed from rainbow to black, gray and yellow.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb