Canyons


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
March 25th 2017
Published: March 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up super early to jump on the free shuttle to the GC visitor centre to see the sunrise over Mather Point and hike an hour or so back along the rim. Brilliant! We watched a black abyss transform into colourful ribbons of rock. I always love a good sunrise but watching the outcrops glow and change as the sunlight moved over them was pretty magical. The walk along the rim was great. Perfect to take loads of photos, learn about the geology if that’s your thing and build up an appetite for delicious breakfast at El Tovar overlooking the canyon.
The Maswik Lodge where we stayed was only a couple hundred metres walk to the rim so we strolled back and packed up.
On our way to Page we stopped at a bunch of lookouts including the Desert View Watchtower.
Antelope lower canyon with Ken’s tours was truly a sight to behold. They do pump a stack of people through the place but the guides are friendly and knowledgeable and I reckon it’s absolutely worth a visit (we took hundreds of photos).
After some lunch we headed out to Marble Canyon to check out some historical sites. Navajo Bridge was impressive. Lee’s Ferry was really interesting and pretty with ruins of buildings, rusted steam engine and sunken paddle boat beside the river.
As the sunset over the walls of the canyon, which was above us now rather than beneath us like this morning we headed back to Page, canyoned out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb