Gotta Love Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
July 1st 2015
Published: July 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday, 29 June, 2015



Bob and Gena left early on their way east, while we will continue west then south. They had commitments they had to get home for. We miss them already.



We drove back through Vernal, with all the pretty flowers, then on to Roosevelt, where we stopped for fuel at a Pilot. But their pumps didn't work and we had to go elsewhere.



As we headed south we went over a pass that was over 9100 feet high. It was a pretty steep grade and we were moving pretty slowly by the time we reached the top. The downhill was much faster, but seemed to go on forever. We finally reached the interstate and a little rainfall that dropped the temperature from 97 to 69 degrees, then back up to 94 within twenty miles. We stopped at a campground in Salina where Jenna and Kerry enjoyed the swimming pool while I did laundry. Later Jenna had fun watching the chickens, turkey and peacock that were free ranging in the campground.





Tue, 30 June





We continued west on the interstate for 33 miles, then took Hwy 89 south through beautiful, rocky canyons and peaceful green valleys. Finally we began to see red rocks in the distance and then the road to Dixie National Forest and the Red Canyon campground.



After lunch we drove to Bryce Canyon National Park. Jenna got her book for Jr. Ranger and worked on it in the truck between overlooks. Bryce is as wonderful as ever and will remain in our top 3 favorites. Driving back to the visitor center we passed a female pronghorn with 4 babies following her. Jenna finished her requirements for her badge and we headed back to camp.





Fri, 1 July



The drive to Kanab, UT, took us through mostly green valleys. At Kanab, the road turns east through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, which encompasses 1.9 million acres. It is a geologic strata that rises likes stairsteps from south to north, beginning north of the Grand Canyon and ending near Bryce Canyon. Beautiful formations and striking colors make up these beautiful series of cliffs.



We stopped at the Glen Canyon Dam visitor center, then drove on to Page, AZ, and our campground, where the temperature was right around 100 degrees. Once hooked up, we turned the A/C on high and went to lunch and Walmart. Then back at the camper, it was time to recharge all electronics in preparation for dry camping the next couple of nights at Grand Canyon.



More later...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bryce Canyon NPBryce Canyon NP
Bryce Canyon NP

Fun with ravens. Whenever they squawked, Jenna jumped.
Bryce CanyonBryce Canyon
Bryce Canyon

2 of the 4 baby pronghorns following one female
Red Canyon, Dixie NFRed Canyon, Dixie NF
Red Canyon, Dixie NF

View from our campsite
Red Canyon, Dixie NFRed Canyon, Dixie NF
Red Canyon, Dixie NF

Another view from our campsite


Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb