Page, Horseshoe Bend and impressive Antelope Canyon...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
January 4th 2013
Published: January 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The first picture of this entry is called the "Monument Valley of Antelope"...and yes, I don't have a tripod which would have made all these pictures way better.



You could visit on your own Antelope Canyon till the middle of the 1970s...than from there...it was only group visits organized by the local Navajo tribe. Result, this visit set us back to 76usd for three of us...and this is low season...76usd for 2 hours, but wow, this place is amazing!



Let's first come back to Page. The city is just over 40 years old, and it's nothing else than a stop for Powell Lake, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon...or further the Grand Canyon and in the opposite direction Monument Valley.



There is a huge dam...a beautiful lake...due to the lake...and an horrible plant which I guess is a power station. The main street is another row of chain hotels, fast foods and few churches. As the city look bigger than Kanab, one afternoon, I drove around trying to find any form of nice architecture...well, there is none! wouldn't dream to live here!



As I said, you don't come to Page...for Page...



There is the Lake Powell....I'm sure this place is wonderful in the summer, but with -10 degres celsius early morning, we are not going for a swim anytime soon.



Next there is the Horseshoe Bend. I'm sure you've seen the pictures before...and had no idea where it was. Well it's easy, it's just out of Page...and it's impressive...and there is not a single fence to make sure you don't decide to make a little jump. I'll never understand the americans for that aspect! But that place is so cool! We went in the morning...and one more time in the afternoon...just to have a different light. And yes, I would have love to have way better camera equipement...but this is not the last time I'll have this feeling around Page!



Horseshoe bend was simply amazing...gorgeous place! But that was not it for Page. There is also the Antelope Canyon. The pictures speak for themselves. If you want the best, come here in summer, where at lunch time, there is a beam of light entering the canyon...pretty out-of-this-world experience. Slight problem, in the summer, it's overcrowded too.



We had a "smaller" group...one more time, more than 80% chinese around...the kinds who go way further than the Grand Canyon experience...and no big buses around here! Good! The Canyon is very narrow...meaning an average of 2-3 meters only. So even a group of 15 gives you the feeling there is a crowd around.



I had seen many pictures from this place without knowing much about it. And yes, it's a photograph paradise...and I'm faraway from being somebody who can claim a single ability in photography! On top of that, we had a pretty cool guide to show us around. The visit is basically a drive of 20 minutes to reach the canyon...an hour in the canyon...and the ride back. If you are ready to part with at least double the money, they have smaller groups...2 hours in the canyon...and a guide who knows a lot more about photography...but hey, I don't even have a tripod with me!



Ask the kids, they love this place...Antelope Canyon, this will remain a highlight of this trip...tha'ts sure!



Next...a place 2 hours drive North-East of here...a place that has been top 10 of my travel wishlist for years...and finally...we did it...coming soon..


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



12th January 2013

Page was built as a town for the construction workers who built the Glen Canyon Dam..
we've passed through several times as it is in a strategic location for anywhere you want to go in southern Utah or northern Arizona. Our favorite hotel built in southwestern style was the Marriott Courtyard...but you probably don't need to know that now!
12th January 2013

We could have turn left...
Hi Bob, I thought to myself once we left Moab and reach 70....well...if we turn right, we can go to say hi to Bob!
12th January 2013
No tripod!

Looking forward to seeing you
Enjoy the mountains and canyons while you can because the will disappear as you head South East. Sofia and I look forward to seeing you next weekend.
12th January 2013

We wish you had turned left...
Sofia mentioned in her comment that you are truning south and east, which if you are in Utah would take you in our direction. Glad to see that your kids will be able to meet Sofia at least. If you have time after that and are in Colorado, you wouldn't have to come all the way here, but we could meet half way like in Breckenridge!
12th January 2013

Fly-over...
Hi Bob, We just fly out off SLC this morning with something like 6 inches of snow...and we were visiting CNN by 4.30pm...so sadly no stop this time in Colorado...tomorrow morning it's the aquarium! The kids loved CNN...I was way less impressed by the tour...guess I'm too spoiled!
13th January 2013
the candle...

I swear.....
..... I would have thought this shot was taken elsewhere. Was thinking Petra, Jordan. Tripod or no tripod, this is a gret shot!
13th January 2013
the candle...

Hi!
Petra is way more impressive when it comes to the architecture...but when you try to compare only the canyons...Antelope is way out if this world!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb