Canyon with a difference


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

So today we tour the Antelope Slot Canyon. Slot - because that is what they are. There are 2 - ann upper and a lower. We settle on an upper with a couple of hundred others. The lower is accessible only from the top and you need to climb down various ladders to get in.

The upper is more accessible as you walk straight in. There is not much room in either of them, and we suffer two compromises - it is the wrong time of the year for the sun to ignite the colours properly and we have too many friends joining us.

For all of that, we managed some reasonable shots that show off the colours somewhat.

There are many tour çompanies that lead these tours and we chose one that is headed by Carol Bigthumb. Thats right! Now Carol's mum actully 'found' these caves and she is still alive today. Our guide is Lane Bigthumb - Carol's son (presumably TwoDogs was busy .........), so it is a real family affair. We learned more about the Navajos today. BTW, neither seemed to have a big thumb so I figure that that must be her married name and the hubby's extraordinary digit hasnt been passed down to the next generation!

Before our drive into Bryce in Utah, we had lunch at a picnic spot (at last we found one) overlooking Lake Powell - formed by the Glen Canyon Dam in Page.

This is a great water amenity - and well used looking at the boat harbour as well as those in storage in the area - but it has a surreal feel about it being a dammed river in the middle of a rocky desert. This is actually the Colorado River and is effectively the Eastern head of the Grand Canyon some kms west. Pics included of both highlights.

Our drive into Utah has found us with some trees again and some very attractive roads and national parks. We are looking fwd to the next couple of days. The air is crisp and the terrain looks challenging.

Until later


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd November 2010

Wonderful Country!!
Hi Chris and Ian, I have just caught up on all the blogs and the pictures and some of the images are just stunning. The Boulder Dam and Grand canyon looking awe inspiring and I recently watched a documentary about the Boulder Dam and plans to raise the dam wall another 43 metres which will double the capacity. The helicopter flight would have been great and perhaps the best way to see the Grand Canyon. The time seems to be speeding away at the rate of knots and the weather appears to have been very kind to you. John is having a hard time with his bladder infection and one symptom heals and another appears, but he is on the mend. I will pass on your regards and the blog site to the South Amercan group on our walk tomorrow. Cheers Pete
3rd November 2010

are you still on earth?
Great photos, they look like space scenes out of Star Trek I can imagine the contrast with New York....have fun Mark.

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb