Frozen Water Hose


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
October 13th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yes, it froze hard overnight and Richard forgot to disconnect the pressure water. He was not the only RV camper trying to coil 10 metres of very stiff popsicle hose. We slept in our long underwear but at least the forecasted 20%!c(MISSING)hance of snow never happened. Eventually the sun warmed up the hose and we were off for a visit to the local Café for internet publishing of three days of travel blogs and pictures. Then on to Page, AZ.

Our exit to the east from South Rim Grand Canyon included several overviews that we missed on the way west (highway AZ 64). These pullouts give several good views of curving sections of the blue-green water 3000 feet below and 4 miles away. A few rapids are visible and even a few rafts negotiating them, plus a view of the Granite Gorge where the river starts to cut into the Precambrian. Further west the rafters look up to 1000 foot walls of black Precambrian rock with no way out but miles of rough water downstream. We enjoyed the views with many others in spite of the cold but brilliant blue sky and thankfully no wind weather. We were a little smarter today and dressed in our down jackets.

From AZ 64 east we turn onto AZ 89 north at Cameron. Three days ago on this road the BIG wind took our bathroom vent cover. Richard scanned the ditches but it was long gone. We stopped at the town of Gap for a diesel fill ($3.59/US gallon) and enjoyed the Echo Cliffs along the east side of the highway.

About 20 miles south of Page the road climbs up through the Echo Cliffs and provides a close up look at the pink rock - all captured on video through the passenger window. The final 20 miles offers views of cliffs and buttes of the same pink colour but
tomorrow we have a date with the ultimate picturesque pink slot canyon - Antelope Canyon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Vishnu TempleVishnu Temple
Vishnu Temple

South Rim Viewpoint
South Rim ViewpointSouth Rim Viewpoint
South Rim Viewpoint

Looking at one of the deep gorges showing Precambrian rock
Echo CliffsEcho Cliffs
Echo Cliffs

On the way to Page.
Echo CliffsEcho Cliffs
Echo Cliffs

Intersection of 89a and 89 is down below.
Vermillion CliffsVermillion Cliffs
Vermillion Cliffs

Looking across the Colorado River gorge.


Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb