Does Arizona Get a Bad (W)rap?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
March 16th 2018
Published: March 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our neighboring state gets unwanted attention for their views on Hispanics, immigration, and baseball. But Arizona remains one of my favorite states, both for its natural beauty, Spring Training baseball, fabulous golf courses, Tex-Mex food, and its overall southwestern vibe. I just try to forget the politics, and enjoy the best of the southwest.



Did you know that it takes over a hundred years to grow an arm of a Saguaro cactus in areas of low precipitation? The age of the Saguaro is determined by its height.



There is more than a billion years of rock exposed at the Grand Canyon.



Our country's first margarita came courtesy of Arizona, where first barrel of tequila came out in 1936 form Nogales. Likewise, the chimichanga was invented here.



Arizona has 13 species of rattlesnakes. Taste like chicken if you ask me! About 150 people are bitten by rattlesnakes each year.



Only 17% of the land in Arizona is privately owned.



Arizona's most famous criminal, Ernesto Miranda is responsible for the mandated Miranda laws.



The Arizona Cardinals are the longest running, continuous franchise, dating back to 1898, having passed through Chicago and St. Louis first.



Arizona and Hawaii are the only states that do not observe Daylight Saving Time.



The bolo tie was designated as the official state neckwear in 1973. I think I still have one. I bought it for those snotty restaurants that required a tie.



Arizona is the leading producer of copper in the U.S. The copper on the rook of the state capitol is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies.



The geographic center of Arizona is located 55 miles southeast of Prescott.



Blue and gold are the official state colors. They must have copied my Cal Golden Bears!!!



Arizona is larger than the UK!



The famous movie, "Oklahoma" was filmed here.



Jaguars still roam the area near the Grand Canyon.



So, I know many of you also enjoy Arizona. We love Sedona, Scottsdale, the Saguaros, and Antelope Canyon. My parents married here on a weekend pass from Relocation Camp in Gila River, AZ.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb