Some closing comments about Uganda


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Mesa
January 23rd 2014
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.417, -111.831

The People:
Wonderful, super friendly and no hidden agendas whatsoever! The only unfortunate thing is they really don't like having their photos taken so we only got a few with permission. They all have such happy faces - young, old, rich or poor. They are just happy people.

The Wildlife:
This was our first 'game viewing' experience and while I am sure it doesn't come close to the big safari destinations we did see a lot of great animals. My overall favorites are elephants but seeing both chimps and Mountain Gorillas on foot was thrilling and an experience I will never forget!

The Birds:
Uganda is a bird watching paradise. We saw several groups who were clearly there just for bird watching. Lots of safari vests filled with lens filters, telephoto lenses that were enormous, scopes and a wide array of binoculars. These people do some heavy load carrying to capture bird photos. We saw so many birds without even really trying.

The Diverse Scenery:
We experienced wide open spaces during game viewing outings, fabulous water ways - the Nile and the Kazinga Channel, and cloud forests. Uganda also has some beautiful lakes, including the northern shores of Lake Victoria as well as several areas with crater lakes.

Tour Companies:
The only portion of the trip we booked in advance was 4 days with Nkuringo Walking Safaris which included getting the gorilla tracking permits. This company is very well run and we had great support from start to finish from the initial contact via email. A company representative met us in Kampala and reviewed the itinerary with us and our guides and drivers along the way were on time and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them.

We also booked day trips with Yebo Tours from Masindi to Murchison National Park and with Kaberole out of Fort Portal to Kibale National Forest and environs. Both companies provided very good service and they helped to make the overall trip a super experience.

Hot Water and Electricity:
Electricity is expensive and is often not 'on' until 6 or 7 pm and IF there is a water heater it takes a good 20-30 minutes to heat up. This was a very iffy situation but you make do with it. The bush camps i.e. QE Bush Lodge and Nkuringo Gorilla Camp use generators because they have no access to electricity otherwise.

Nkuringo is a carbon neutral camp, focus is on being environmentally friendly, so they collect water and use solar energy for many things. Large batteries are charged up and placed in the rooms so you have access to lights all night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



24th January 2014

Hello Richard and Carole, Thank you very much for sharing the photos. We believe you had a wonderful trip to Uganda, meeting people, eating their food, speaking some of their languages, enjoying their life and everything has been going on,
animals and natural recourse Uganda has to offer. Thank you again for sharing and all the best,

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb