7th and 8th May 2013


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Kingman
May 9th 2013
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

7th May 2013

Packed up the bikes and headed off to Joshua Tree National Park. Was chuffed to find we could buy an annual pass that would get us both and the bikes into all national parks, thought we would have to have one each, so saved 80 bucks.

The drive through the park is spectacular, desert with astounding rock formations, not to mention the odd Joshua tree. Chose our stop and set up camp. There is no water whatsoever in the park, so we had stocked up the night before. Supper consisted of packet chicken rice and corn flour tortillas - quite revolting! Went for a lovely walk and stopped and chatted with fellow bikers, now have a contact number if we run into trouble on our travels further north. Wonderful clear starry night, but froze, ended up wearing all clothes under bedding. Went for a wee in the night, and managed to become disoriented and lost the tent for a while, came across the bikes and worked out where I was, but quite scary for a minute or two.

8th May 2013

Packed up all the gear and headed off on highway 62. Drove down the kind of roads that I had been looking forward to, straight off the cover of Jackson Browne's 'Running on empty' and probably many others for that matter.Crossed around 100 odd miles of desert with absolutely nothing, got really low on gas, Jim was on reserve before we made town. Stopped for gas and the usual chat with another biker. This time a Brit living there, who used to live in Bristol. Stopped for lunch in Parker and had the obligatory chat with yet more bikers, and have another offer of somewhere to stay, if we make it as far north as Oregon, probably not.

Crossed over into Arizona and headed off to Oatman via route 66, got there just after everything closed. Its a tourist cowboy town with donkeys roaming around, or at least they are when everything is open! Initially a little disappointed we carried on through as it was getting late, but a blessing in disguise because we got to do around 28 miles of route 66 as the sun was going down over cowboy country, a real thrill and everything and more that I hoped it would be.

Have now stopped in Kingman at a cheap motel and caught up with showers and washing. Unfortunately the railway line is pretty close and you can sure hear that lonesome whistle blow as they approach - think it might be another disturbed nights sleep.

Advertisement



9th May 2013

Sounds good
Really good to hear you're finally doing it. Looking every day to catch up. Be great to see a pic or two (not of vans). Ride safe. R
10th May 2013

More vehicles, specially for you
Knowing how you enjoyed the van piccies, I've included some more. Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb