Day 10: Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
January 28th 2015
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 10

Breakfast was provided in the hotel but I personally did not find it at all appetising. The hotel was very busy with Grand Canyon tourists and helicopters continually passed overhead.

It isn't a warm day, just nice and we take our time around the park. We stop at the entrance where the 'Grand Canyon National Park' sign is and take a few pictures and spot some deer nearby. We park at Mather Point and head towards the Visitor Centre. The biking shop is extremely bus all day with many choosing this way to see around the rim. The shuttle buses and maps help you plan your day and points you most want to see. Personally I felt that one full day was long enough to see what we wanted to.

The bus route we chose was orange, blue then red. Once on the bus we just chose the points we wanted to get off based on the views and popularity! Inside the Visitor Centre is a lot of information about your day and advice from Rangers as well as a film and display about how the Canyon came to be.

The views are absolutely unbelievable! The river below and the different rocks are just incredible and impossible to take a bad picture. Some points feel less secure than others with a massive drop! A lot of people sit right on the edge and get their pictures taken but it looks scary! Mather point has railings around it and a high vantage point which makes it ideal for sunrise and sunset.

There are plenty of trails for hiking that take you further down beneath the rim of the Canyon. There is on-site accommodation and places to eat and shop if you are staying in the grounds.

My favourite route was probably the red route which is an 80minute round trip. Points of interest are: Mohave Point (sunset), Hopi Point (sunset) and Hermits Rest.
Orange Route is a 50minute round trip. Points of interest are: Visitor Centre, Mather Point and Yaki Point.
Blue Route is 50 minute round trip. Points of interest are: Market Plaza, Maswik Lodge, Bright Angel Lodge, Train Depot and Shrine of the Ages.

Make sure you take a note of the last bus back! Buses are free.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb