Grand Canyon, Arizona


Advertisement
Published: April 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

When we entered Arizona we recalled the saying, “Whoever says the world is over-crowded has never driven across the United States.” I waited to hear that wild west whistle, but not even that was to be heard. Eventually we came across scattered worn-down trailers with a few Rvs or pick-up trucks by them. A few wild and thin horses grazed along the highways outside of wire fences. We noticed that most of the people we saw seemed to be of Native American descent and wondered if the area we were driving through was an Indian Reservation. Eventually we came upon parts of the highway that were dotted with roadside stands selling Navajo crafts, jewelry, and pottery.

Eventually we left the warmer desert lands and rose into the higher grounds of the Grand Canyon. What a surprise to feel the cold air, see trees and soon after that snow! We were glad to have the van to camp in that night!

The next morning we were awoken by a small bird tapping at our window, apparently thinking its reflection was a would-be mate or a potential competitor. While we breakfasted at the picnic table large ravens perched in the trees above, waiting for their breakfast to be left behind. We walked to the trail by the canyon, with the kids' Junior Ranger handbooks and without sunblock (big mistake!). We had a beautiful day walking along the South Rim, stopping to take in the breath-taking sight of the canyon, and listening to ranger talks about tarantulas and California Condors. The kids completed their handbooks, pledged to preserve and share about the beauty of the Grand Canyon, and received their official badges. Our younger son even used his trip-spending money to buy a junior ranger 7-in-1 tool, which was really cool. After a campstove dinner we returned to watch the sunset colors of the canyon, and he took along his tool. When he pulled the thermometer/compass/LED light/storage container part off the whistle/mirror/magnifying glass part (which was on a string around his neck) the loose part proceeded to jump out of his hand, over the railing, and down, down into the canyon. Poor guy, that ended the day in a few tears : ( Don't tell him I picked up a new one for his birthday later this year when he can play with it safely away from any canyons!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd April 2011

Amazing!
Hope you found some aloe cream after all that sun! Amazing sunset! Thanks for the news -- glad it was only a thing-a-ma-jig that fell over the wall. Yikes!
12th May 2011

canyon envy
with snow even. i've seen it in a half thunderstorm but never snow. ain't she a beaut?

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb